Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Stalhelm help needed for authentication

Article about: Local flea market find. I figured I would take a chance. It has been repainted at some point, but looks like it was done a long time ago. There is a field repair to the top of the liner, whe

Default Stahlhelm help needed for authentication

Local flea market find. I figured I would take a chance. It has been repainted at some point, but looks like it was done a long time ago. There is a field repair to the top of the liner, where they tied twine in to it. Rolled edge makes me think its an M40 original WWII.
    Thoughts are appreciated. Sorry for the sideways pics.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stalhelm help needed for authentication   Stalhelm help needed for authentication  

Stalhelm help needed for authentication   Stalhelm help needed for authentication  

Stalhelm help needed for authentication   Stalhelm help needed for authentication  

Stalhelm help needed for authentication  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stalhelm help needed for authentication
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Looks like a Norwegian reworked M40. Can you provide pictures of the maker and lot number? Stamped on the inside rear and near the chin strap bale.

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

This is about the best picture I can get. It appears to be a "7" or "17"
    No markings by the bales.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stalhelm help needed for authentication  

The liner is not german WW2, neither is the chin strap. Shell looks ok to me IMO.

MAP
    ?

Odd. Let's wait for others more familiar with these Norwegian re-issue helmets (if this is what it is). But the liner and chin strap is not German. To me the dyed red liner and chinstrap appear to be Norwegian.

If I had to guess...and I'm only guess here for me. I'm still trying to learn to id helmets based on vent holes, placement and split pin washers, I would say an SE but as noted that is a guess.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Michael,

Is it me or does the liner and chinstrap look Italian?

I'm hoping I didn't hurt myself TOO bad. I was confident the shell was ok, but was questioning the liner myself. The chin strap has a stamp / maker mark. Pic attached.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stalhelm help needed for authentication  

MAP
    ?

Quote by Dannyjunkfish View Post
    Michael,

Spot on Danny. Was just re-looking at the photos while going thru my books and was thinking the same thing. It all clicked when I saw the two rivets on the chin strap. Then it all fell into place. Not sure why I didn't see that the first go around. Doh!!! I was so focused on the color of the liner......my bad!

Now...the why? (besides the obvious of it being a complete parts lid).

Michael

MAP
    ?

Quote by gorrelljmg View Post
    I'm hoping I didn't hurt myself TOO bad. I was confident the shell was ok, but was questioning the liner myself. The chin strap has a stamp / maker mark. Pic attached.
    Let's wait for those more in the know to come by. I'm way out of my element here.

As far as the chin strap, the mark is hard to see and is not the typical Italian grey/green color. I could be totally wrong but I think I read somewhere here that some eastern European countries used lids like this...but I could be mistaken..

OK...I've rambled too much as I think and type at the same time and have make myself look like a dunce.

Michael

?

Quote by Dannyjunkfish View Post
    Michael,

I believe your right Danny, that liner leather may be from an Italian lid (I know less than nothing about them), it is most certainly not from a German one. As I can't see the liner band, I am assuming that the band is German, and the leather
    is Italian. As for the chinstrap, it may also be Italian, although it does kind of resemble a Czech type chinstrap.
    The M40 shell looks legit, but the maker's stamps are most likely the victims of multiple coats of postwar paint.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

Brad.