Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Stalingrad relic M35.

Article about: Hi guy's, I found this interesting M35 Helmet on a Stalingrad relic site a while back and thought i would share it with the forumIt's very unusual as it appear's to have cammo paint under th

Default Stalingrad relic M35.

Hi guy's,
    I found this interesting M35 Helmet on a Stalingrad relic site a while back and thought i would share it with the forumIt's very unusual as it appear's to have cammo paint under the liner (or is it apple green?) as well as unit number over the top.Somthing different that i have never seen before and how's the colour? It look's like the white has reacted with other cammo paint and turned it a greenish blue colour
    Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stalingrad relic M35.   Stalingrad relic M35.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stalingrad relic M35.
    P
    Many

The Enforcer
    ?

Default Re: Stalingrad relic M35.

what is that ring doing there in the back ?

?

Hi Tom,

What do the unit markings say ?

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Hi Tom,

What do the unit markings say ?

regards

Paul
    Hi Tom,

I believe the pictures dont help much, photo was taken using flash and that changes the real colour of the helmet . Usually when you clean rusted helmets with Oxalic Acid the colours tend to change to a lighter one. From a Dark green to a lighter dark green..thats what I noticed..this could be the case anyhow the helmet looks very nice.

Stalingrad relic M35.
    Hi Guys,

I know this is old thread but I would like everyone to know I have been in possession of this fine helmet of the above said post since 2005. IT IS truely a Stalingrad ground dug helmet found in the south side of the kessel near Elshanka back in 2004 by a friend of mine. Lots of rust and I am losing that battle to date! I have some shrinkage with the leather going on as you can see from the pics the surface rust is hard to stop after 13 years. The actual color is bluish/green and I know there has not been any oxalic acid or any other preservative applied. I've just been careful keeping it in a dry place to slow down the rusting process. As you can see in the photo the writing is still intact and I believe it to be 12.3.R.15 which in my research based on where it was found was the 3rd Company, 15th Regiment, 29th MOT division. Not sure about '12' and what it means? I'm guessing the helmet D link strap was field applied sometime early in the war when some of these troops came in from cavalry formations? Maybe this may be an explanation for the unusual color of helmet? Unfortunately, the name on the rim is really hard to make out. This is one of two 29th MOT division helmets I own. Any hints on how to better preserve this would be much appreciated. I have mixed feelings about Oxalic Acid.

Thanks,

Gary
    Last edited by dagwood; 03-28-2017 at 07:01 PM.

Nice Helmet Tom. I like that you know what unit it came from. I have one that a friend of mine actually
    dug at Stalingrad, near Gumrak Airport. I believe the 51st Corp was in this area. I'll try to put up some
    ics...........
    Tks,
    Bob32268Stalingrad relic M35.Stalingrad relic M35.Stalingrad relic M35.Stalingrad relic M35.

More current photos of the shell taken in daylight will help with answering your questions.

BTW, oxalic is not a preservative, it is a rust remover. For preservation you could look at renaissance wax or something similar after the rust has been neutralized.

Here's some better photos of the helmet.

GaryStalingrad relic M35.Stalingrad relic M35.Stalingrad relic M35.Stalingrad relic M35.

Any outside shots in natural light? From these photos it doesn't look like any treatment is necessary and a coat of wax would be more than enough.

Stalingrad relic M35.Stalingrad relic M35.
    Here are outdoor photos. As you can see the blue in the color of the helmet comes across better now. Any additional input would be greatly appreciated. My other Stalingrad helmet has had the rust stabilized but it has no liner. I feel this helmet is special and want to preserve it for the next owner.

Thanks,

Gary

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast