Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Is there something underneath..?

Article about: Hello, i'm new here, so be gentle with me Anyway,..I bought this helmet recently, an M40 i think. Getting straight to the point, i think there are decals under that green paint. At some poin

Stet
    ?

Default Is there something underneath..?

Hello, i'm new here, so be gentle with me

Anyway,..I bought this helmet recently, an M40 i think. Getting straight to the point, i think there are decals under that green paint. At some point in time, someone has glued something over the decal areas.But, i'm sure there are the traces of the original decals underneath....

I was considering removing the overpaint, to reveal the decals.However, i had the thought, that what if this was period paint? Should i go ahead and remove it? Therefore ruining the history of the helmet, or, just go ahead with the paint removal>

I've read,on here. That some use acetone to remove paint. Is this still an accepted method,or, is there something else i should use?

Sorry for all the questions from the "new guy". And any help gladly appreciated,thanks.

Stet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is there something underneath..?   Is there something underneath..?  

Is there something underneath..?   Is there something underneath..?  

2. # ADS

?

Default Re: Is there something underneath..?

This is an M 35, and looks like the decals is underpaint
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Stet
    ?

I stand corrected,thanks

I may try the acetone later and see what the results are

Try it on a small test area first... i.e. the back inside painted part.
    See the results & go from there
    Dan

Be patient... it make take a few wipes!

I don't think that green paint is period.
    I would go ahead and do as the others suggested but be very careful and wash with water after each wipe straight away when it comes to the decal area as they can be easily damaged.If the laquer is still intact on them you could be lucky.I have used acetone to great success a few times now and the results can be very satisfying
    Unfortunately some crooks out there will paint over fake decals just to try selling a Helmet and encourage bids on auction too.In other words what lays under the paint may not be period decals.Definately an M35 too as it has seperate eyelets
    Best of luck and look forward to the result!

Tom

I wouldnt feel bad removing all of the paint off this one. IMO not period done at all.

Stet
    ?

No, i agree that it may not be a period re-paint/paint-over. I tried a little acetone on a small area and was a little worried with the result...I used a dilute solution and tried it on the decal area. result was some of the "national shield" was exposed. As for the other side, i was a little disappointed to see that someone has been there before me, and some of the "eagle" has gone. Anyway, i'm leaving this for now. I'm not confident enough to do it myself,so i'll talk to a mate who has attempted this before. He'll do a better job than me.

Cheers,

Stet.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.