Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Thought Id share this german helmet

Article about: Hey everyone, I just picked up this M42 (I think) lol. I inherited it from my grandfather that recently passed away... Its not in the best shape but its still a nice piece. Also there are so

?

Default Thought Id share this german helmet

Hey everyone, I just picked up this M42 (I think) lol. I inherited it from my grandfather that recently passed away... Its not in the best shape but its still a nice piece. Also there are some interesting things about the helmet... Heres some pics, enjoy

Interior. which is in bad shape and Im assuming thats original

Right side where you can somewhat see the insignia.... interesting thing is it looks to be worn off with a knife.... Maybe for added concealment?

Another interesting thing, kinda looks like this helmet got hit with shrapnel or a riccochet.... theres a small dent on the brow with outward explosion marks... What do you guys think?

Thanx for looking

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Thought Id share this german helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: Thought Id share this german helmet

Hi, It is an M42. There should be some numbers and letters stamped into the inner apron over the wearer's left ear and to the rear of the helmet. Could you list those stamps or post pictures of them? Also, a clear straight on shot of the scraped area below the right vent would be interesting to see. Thanks in advance, and welcome to the forum. Jim G.

?

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    Hi, It is an M42. There should be some numbers and letters stamped into the inner apron over the wearer's left ear and to the rear of the helmet. Could you list those stamps or post pictures of them? Also, a clear straight on shot of the scraped area below the right vent would be interesting to see. Thanks in advance, and welcome to the forum. Jim G.
    Thanx for the info. I looked by the left ear and didnt find any markings.... Would it be under the headband strap? On the rear of the helmet there was a marking....

Rear apron marking... Looks like a 5 with a strange "W"????

Found another shrapnel/ricco hit.... outside of the helmet

Inside of helmet, shrap hit???

Best pic I could get of the, what looks to be, small scraps removing the insignia...

The stamps I mentioned are NOT under the liner band. Please don't remove it, it is better to leave the helmet just the way it is. Late War helmets only had the stampings on the rear portion of the apron. The 4 digit number that seems to start with a "5" is the lot number, and in this "5000" range this would be a late War helmet. You may be able to find the maker/size stamp near the lot # stamp. Those stamps are 1,2 or 3 letters (designating the manufacturer of the helmet) followed by 2 Arabic numbers(60, 62, 64, 66, 68 or 70- indicating the size of the shell), for example: ckl64, Q66, HKP60 etc. The scrape mark seems to be the remains of a decal. SS decals were typically placed on the right side of the helmet, but from the shape and size of the scraped area it does not look like it was an SS decal that was removed. The shell and paint are in good shale. Too bad for the condition of the liner, but it is still an original and apparently untouched (assuming the scraped area was war time done) original WWII German M42 helmet that was probably issued to Army personnel. Nice piece. Jim G.

?

Jim looks like an EF to me. I agree not an SS decal. If an EF with that stamp it could be a mid war. What is late war btw? Historically speaking it is post Bulge meaning 1945. I am concerned that late 1943 produced and 1944 helmets are being classified as "late war". I think the terminology is so subjective but is critical in providing accuracy to collectors. I think helmets produced that get into the 6500 and 7000 ranges for ckl would be late war. Depending on production cycles and interruptions, high 4000 and 5000 could be made in late 43 early 44 but we dont know this for sure we can only speculate which always leads to interesting discussion.

Welcome to the forum N. Interesting M42 helmet The battle damage makes it a nice been there helmet!
    Doug

?

Thanx for all the help guys. So could it be a 5111? The paint is kinda thick there and Its hard to tell what it says... Also In think the paint thickness could be covering the other markings aswell.... Im just happy Ill be able to enjoy this helmet. My grandfather brought this back. He served with the 2nd infantry division from 1944-1949. He also brought back a Heer "Gott mit uns" belt and emil voos solingen dress k98 bayonet.... I never really got to talk to him about them because it seemed to be a sensative short conversation which I always respected.... He actually passed away recently and I decided to hold onto his things for my kids.... Thanx again fella's

My Uncle Charlie was in C Company, 23rd Inf. Reg., 2nd ID. He was one of the division members who actually landed on D-Day, second wave, tasked to protect the Engineers who were clearing the obstacles at Omaha Beach. He was a BAR man, and fought throughout the Normandy and Brittany campaigns and was sent home after his third wound, from MG fire, sustained on 9/14/44, just before the fall of Brest, put him out of action for good. He was known by his squad mates as "The Heebie Geebie Greek on the BAR", because, he told me, when he fired his weapon on full auto from the prone position, "that son of a bitch would bounce me around like a Mexican jumping bean!" What Regiment was your Grandfather in if you know? PM me if you want to continue this discussion. I agree, with the family connection, you should pass this one on to your kids, and not let them forget the sacrifices made by these men that made our lives so much better. Doug, guilty as charged, I tend to misuse "late war" as my break point for when decals were no longer applied to combat lids (except, of course, Combat Police lids). I just can't seem to break myself of the habit, but I am trying... I promise. Jim G.

?

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    My Uncle Charlie was in C Company, 23rd Inf. Reg., 2nd ID. He was one of the division members who actually landed on D-Day, second wave, tasked to protect the Engineers who were clearing the obstacles at Omaha Beach. He was a BAR man, and fought throughout the Normandy and Brittany campaigns and was sent home after his third wound, from MG fire, sustained on 9/14/44, just before the fall of Brest, put him out of action for good. He was known by his squad mates as "The Heebie Geebie Greek on the BAR", because, he told me, when he fired his weapon on full auto from the prone position, "that son of a bitch would bounce me around like a Mexican jumping bean!" What Regiment was your Grandfather in if you know? PM me if you want to continue this discussion. I agree, with the family connection, you should pass this one on to your kids, and not let them forget the sacrifices made by these men that made our lives so much better. Doug, guilty as charged, I tend to misuse "late war" as my break point for when decals were no longer applied to combat lids (except, of course, Combat Police lids). I just can't seem to break myself of the habit, but I am trying... I promise. Jim G.
    Your PM's are full.... So ill just post it here, no big deal
    Hey Jim, As far as I know my grandfather actually served within the armor. Im guessing the 741st tank battalion. Heres a pic of his jacket. Notice the red and yellow pin, Im guessing that was his tank company insignia although I havnt found out for sure... He also went through airbourne training but I think that was post war since he was discharged in 1949....

The 741rst was attached to the 2nd ID. VERY nice jacket. A few 2nd ID lids to go with it. Sorry, I don't want to hijack the thread, I just think men like your Grandfather and my Uncle were indeed "Second to None!" Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Thought Id share this german helmet   Thought Id share this german helmet  

Thought Id share this german helmet   Thought Id share this german helmet  

?

No, your not threadjacking at all, your uncles helmets are awesome pieces aswell and Im always down to admire the past. I do agree with you that our relatives were part of something larger then they even knew, they are no doubt second to none.... Anyone regardless of what country they fought for deserves recognition. Thanks for sharing Jim. I also have a bunch more of my grandfathers belongings.... His combat belt with 1942 bayonet, cateen, a un-opened sulfer dressing kit, 12-15 .30-06 M1 garand battle packs, his helmet in amazing condition, a book of photos mostly on base and some other stuff too.... I also have his M1 garand that he bought back in the early 90's. After the miltary he got into percision target shooting also... -Mike