Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thoughts: Camo M40 and DAK

Article about: Big favor to ask guys. Sure some of you might be looking at this one. Any thoughts. I don't have a camo and the dealer level price seems fair compared to others in this condition. I'm sure i

Quote by DougB View Post
    Leon that is a pretty good sign as far as I am concerned. These were painted in the field not in a factory. If it were factory paint then yes but camo paint you expect to be painted over worn and scratched areas of the helmet.
    Hi Doug, I agree with you mate, I know that the cammo was never applied at factory level, I just do not feel convinced at this stage that the cammo was period applied. What I was looking for was signs of wear to the cammo in the areas where it is sitting deeper in the already chipped/scratched areas. I cannot see much evidence of that on my PC but in hand under a loop it may look fine. Leon.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Thoughts: Camo M40 and DAK
    P
    Many

?

The tan camo helmet i like the look of although for me it looks more like the camo used in Italy than Afrika , i owned one that came from a British vet who had brought it back from Italy with a very similar colouration.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Don't get too hung up on collectors lore with regards to camo.

I bought a tan only camo direct from a farm in 1989 in Normandy. I have shown it on the forum before.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi Doug, I agree with you mate, I know that the cammo was never applied at factory level, I just do not feel convinced at this stage that the cammo was period applied. What I was looking for was signs of wear to the cammo in the areas where it is sitting deeper in the already chipped/scratched areas. I cannot see much evidence of that on my PC but in hand under a loop it may look fine. Leon.
    Hi Leon, I am afraid I am not following you, you are looking for signs of wear to the camo inside the chipped and scratched areas? Its early here and could be my sleep deprived state that I am not getting what your saying LOL. I would expect camo paint in recessed areas to be the least worn. Example, I have a very worn an ex-winter whitewash SS helmet and there is plenty of whitewash inside the areas where the factory paint has worn off or chipped away.

Cheers
    Doug

MAP
    ?

Thanks everyone I really appreciate all the great feedback!

I've really gained a lot of knowledge over the past year listening to you all, following your advice and buying and reading reference materials to the point that I am pretty comfortable with factory type helmets. The good news is that with this knowledge I now have a half decent collection of around 15 German lids. But this then clearly exposes the other holes that I want to fill (Camo, DAK, SS and some of the oddball types) and the requisite increase in expenditures to achieve.

But it's my first foray into the wonderful world of camo and a new area to learn and understand....so now the decision of which one....and if I want to drop the cash. (and if it is still available).

Thanks again!

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post

I bought a tan only camo direct from a farm in 1989 in Normandy. I have shown it on the forum before.

Cheers, Ade.
    Good one point Ade , although it is difficult to tell from wartime black and whites i'm sure tan camo will have been used in South East Russia / Kalmuk steppe etc !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post

Cheers, Ade.
    Hello
    Agree not just helmets: Tanks ordnance equipment I'm sorry to not elaborate more last night. For me the paint isn't w2 German just my opinion, the other helmet is advertised as DAK, not for me right now maybe one day I'll change my opinion.

Regards
    Eric
    Thoughts: Camo M40 and DAK

?

Eric,

Please explain why this is not WW2 German and why you don't like the DAK or tan camo, who cares what it's called.

Please explain your opinion and what formulates your opinion? That sir is a fundamental backbone of this forum. This great forum is not "shoot fast and loose from the hip" territory. They don't want to sink to the depths of the Red Forum where unsubstantiated opinion and "drive-by's" are the norm.

If you make a claim of opinion here, you must back it up.

Please oblige by the forum rules, as I understand them at least Eric.

While your at it please also explain, which you've failed despite requests, your extensive paint testing that you claim you do. A reference to a forgotten Q-tip blog doesn't cut it, Eric.

Quote by DougB View Post
    Hi Leon, I am afraid I am not following you, you are looking for signs of wear to the camo inside the chipped and scratched areas? Its early here and could be my sleep deprived state that I am not getting what your saying LOL. I would expect camo paint in recessed areas to be the least worn. Example, I have a very worn an ex-winter whitewash SS helmet and there is plenty of whitewash inside the areas where the factory paint has worn off or chipped away.

Cheers
    Doug
    Hi Doug, I think we are getting our "wires crossed" here. I am referring to the paint that sits in recessed/chipped areas yes, but of course not all of them, as you rightly say, there will be less wear in those areas! This helmet shows a lot of wear to the cammo so I would expect to see a few signs(if not many) of the odd chip/scratch or ding crossing over both the older chips/scratches and over painted cammo at the same time. As I said, maybe under a loop( or on a better PC)more details will "pop" out! Have a good one, Leon.

?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi Doug, I think we are getting our "wires crossed" here. I am referring to the paint that sits in recessed/chipped areas yes, but of course not all of them, as you rightly say, there will be less wear in those areas! This helmet shows a lot of wear to the cammo so I would expect to see a few signs(if not many) of the odd chip/scratch or ding crossing over both the older chips/scratches and over painted cammo at the same time. As I said, maybe under a loop( or on a better PC)more details will "pop" out! Have a good one, Leon.
    Thanks Leon, I understand better now. For me actually I think this is a pretty lightly used camo, and the larger areas of wear look like paint had chipped off after taking hits to it, but like you say an in hand with any camo tells all usually. I understand the vet provenance with this one is very very strong btw. Provenance is something that is important, in particular with camos.
    Cheers Leon,
    Doug

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast