Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thoughts on a Luftwaffe M40

Article about: Hello all, Came across this piece today. The liner is unlike the four German helmets in my collection and made me curious. Do you all have any thoughts on it? I hope each of you are well. Ma

Default Thoughts on a Luftwaffe M40

Hello all,

Came across this piece today. The liner is unlike the four German helmets in my collection and made me curious. Do you all have any thoughts on it? I hope each of you are well. Many thanks for your wisdom.

Thoughts on a Luftwaffe M40Thoughts on a Luftwaffe M40Thoughts on a Luftwaffe M40Thoughts on a Luftwaffe M40Thoughts on a Luftwaffe M40

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Thoughts on a Luftwaffe M40
    P
    Many

The shell is fine and shows the type of wear we would expect from a period piece. The decal looks OK at least from these images so a closeup side on shot would be good. In my opinion the liner is not original to this shell in that the wear it shows is not in keeping with the wear on the shell. Liner pins look fine but liners can be changed without having to remove them. Are you able to see the what the pins look like from inside?

Not sure if the liner is original either (or fake) as the leather looks very thin and a bit odd. Any size or manufacturer stamps visible? The shell looks tiny.

Thank you for your wisdom Andy. At this time I'm unable to sadly. This is a fairly local piece considering the driving I typically have to do to do these deals, but the price on this one as well as the liner made me hesitate. Seller is asking $600, however for what may amount to only a good shell, I suspect this is one I should shy away from? Many thanks again and the very best wishes!

No problem but only my opinion of course and always best to get a consensus so you might want to see what others say first before completely ruling it out.

Most certainly, I suspect I will have some more insight by morning time here in the Midwest, US. Thank you again!

In general I like this helmet, has a nice look to it. But the leather is definitly too good for the helmet, probably a post war addition, the question is was the whole liner or just the leather added, I would definitely recommend taking a look at the pins.

Thank you for your wisdom. For now I'm unable to get an in-person look per-say. So I suspect I'll have to judge by the shell alone. What would be a good price point to pick this up for? Seller is asking $600 which will never happen with my textbook drained bank account but I'm unsure of an appropriate counter offer based on how things look. Any ideas?

Well, that’s hard to say. 600 is definitly to much, depending on the Liner I would pay... somewhere around 400 - but only if the Liner is Original, if it’s a fake, I would personally go even further down.
    But that’s just me, it mostly depends on what you are willing to pay.

Liner looks original to me, but not sure if it's original to the helmet.
    I've seen some salty looking helmets with nice liners so maybe it belongs in there.
    Photos of the split pins would be good.
    What's also curious is that on the photos it seems as though there are two seams in the rear instead of just one, could be down to the photos but it sure looks like it.
    I won't say much about the price, as this discussion should be focused on originality, though I'd say it's on the higher side.
    Luis

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast