Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thoughts on M42 ?

Article about: Hi Guys, Can I have your thoughts on this helmet ? It would be my first German helmet so I have no experience in this field. It doesn't ever seem to have been taken apart except that 1 of th

I agree its a shame about the missing paint over the number, not scratched off by me though.
    I am fairly practical in the way that I can understand that things sometimes need replacing and it is better to have a helmet with some history than one of those repainted, artificially aged helmets off of Epay which seem to go for ridiculous amounts of money.

This one came from the car-boot sale and was not expensive. I figured if it was genuine I would keep it as is or if the paint job was not authentic I would re-paint it for the Southern Italian Front after some research. I think I shall keep it as it is and may possibly change the chinstrap at a later date if proved to be too modern. I like the idea of the Polish strap although I have not found any pictures to reference.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Thoughts on M42 ?
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Roger M View Post
    I agree its a shame about the missing paint over the number, not scratched off by me though.
    I am fairly practical in the way that I can understand that things sometimes need replacing and it is better to have a helmet with some history than one of those repainted, artificially aged helmets off of Epay which seem to go for ridiculous amounts of money.

This one came from the car-boot sale and was not expensive. I figured if it was genuine I would keep it as is or if the paint job was not authentic I would re-paint it for the Southern Italian Front after some research. I think I shall keep it as it is and may possibly change the chinstrap at a later date if proved to be too modern. I like the idea of the Polish strap although I have not found any pictures to reference.
    As for the chinstrap, it maybe period Polish (I've no idea to be honest as I've never studied them).
    But the paint looks fine to me, as does the liner.
    What ever you do, please do not repaint it, leave it as is.

Brad.

Don't worry Brad, I will not be painting it ! (Or sticking Decals on it )

Interesting and unusual strap. Glad you are not
    going to alter it's history.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2