Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thoughts on M42 ?

Article about: Hi Guys, Can I have your thoughts on this helmet ? It would be my first German helmet so I have no experience in this field. It doesn't ever seem to have been taken apart except that 1 of th

Default Thoughts on M42 ?

Hi Guys,
    Can I have your thoughts on this helmet ? It would be my first German helmet so I have no experience in this field. It doesn't ever seem to have been taken apart except that 1 of the split pins seems to of been replaced with a rounder version (Seen in the front on photo). It has been repainted a long time ago which has touched onto the liner in a few places. I can't see any dates and I don't want to take it apart in a hunt so just a visual appraisal.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Thoughts on M42 ?   Thoughts on M42 ?  

Thoughts on M42 ?   Thoughts on M42 ?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Thoughts on M42 ?
    P
    Many

hi roger i have a feeling judging by the liner and chinstrap its perhaps a norwegian reissue but lets here other opinions first

Overall the helmet looks okay to me...The paint matches my M42's (But I'm no paint-expert), the liner is an original...different pin as noted, and the chinstrap is definitely a replacement, perhaps Norwegian as suggested...Depending on the price, this is a good helmet to start off with, in my opinion, I'm sure others will disagree, lol!...
    cheers, Glenn

Your first ? Don't buy this then but a decent untouched example.

Thanks for your thoughts so far ..............

The Liner does not look like the red colour of the Norwegian liners that I have seen and the strap I was always dubious about so no real surprise there. Constructive criticism is always good. I bought it with a good Wolseley sun helmet and a Khaki Drill Bush jacket (unsure of era) and what looks like an Indian made p37 belt.

It will display nicely...well done! Here's my poor attempt for paint-comparison...
    Glenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Thoughts on M42 ?  

Thanks Glenn,
    colours are so difficult on the web aren't they ! The more I look at the helmet the more I think its good.

I will upload some pictures of the chinstrap later, its a roller buckle but I cannot find anything like it for comparison. The rivets that hold the buckle and beard guard are different in one being aluminium and the other steel but seem to be the same age looking at the back.

Strap pictures.......
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Thoughts on M42 ?   Thoughts on M42 ?  

Quote by Roger M View Post
    Strap pictures.......
    What the strap and the rivet are concerned they need to have the same age as the rest of the helmet.
    It's not unusual to find a rollerbuckle strap on a German helmet but it all boils down to matching the patina.
    The fact that someone wiped away the paint to look at a lotnumber is unfortunate.

Here's my rollerbuckle on a CKL M42

Hi, I think the paint work is ok, as is the liner, it does not appear to be that deep red of the dyed Norwegian ones to me. The replaced liner pin would put me off a bit but the chinstrap looks like one of the Polish helmet examples that were quite often put onto German helmets during the war as they were more comfortable to wear. Leon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast