Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

For Tobruk ..decal info

Article about: Here are some fake \\$5 decals similar to the one on your helmet,look at the wing feathers closely,especially on the top outside corners and 1/3 of the way down.Hope this helps...Zwerge.

?

Default For Tobruk ..decal info

Here are some fake $5 decals similar to the one on your helmet,look at the wing feathers closely,especially on the top outside corners and 1/3 of the way down.Hope this helps...Zwerge.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture For Tobruk ..decal info   For Tobruk ..decal info  

JEDEM DAS SEINE

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement For Tobruk ..decal info
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: For Tobruk ..decal info

Hi Zwerge, with respect this decal is quite a bit different than the fake on Tobruk's helmet so I am not sure if it would be a good comparable as the points of reference to the decal it is imitating is very very far off from a real Q. Tobruk's fake appears to be imitating an ET not a Q.

As for identifying any fake decal several things must be in order starting with the graphics. It is incumbent for a collector of German helmets to study both real and fake in order to learn what to look for. Second is the decals construction. This you must have a hands on however from photos look for depth, print style, thickness, etc. Compare your decal to known originals and look past graphics. Third (this really is a Coles Notes treatise) pay attention to decal maker-shell maker relationships and lot number patterns. Finally look at how the decal is applied and aged. Is it peeling, are there bubbles, folds, unnatural age, rust, scratches under the decal, what's the decal condition vs paint and shell condition, is the age natural or enhanced?

Then you must look at the paint color, liner, chinstrap, wear, etc etc.

Using this simple guide a beginning collector may be able to determine real from fake with some simple research and time, and save himself a lot of trouble with all but the most challenging fakes.

Knowledge is power, and it is all there in front of us for anyone to learn.

Cheers
    Doug

?

Thank you all for your help on this one. I was sure the liner had been replaced, but had no idea the decal was suspect. I was not being lazy by not researching the decal, as it looked good to me. Thanks to replies, i now understand the decal was only on the Quist model, and other details specific to this decal i was unaware of. Apart from DAK helmets, other models are scarce in South Australia. This makes it very hard to compare original examples. I mainly have relic German helmets, so i was very excited to find some in good solid condition. Having said that, in future i will ask for opinions before purchasing any more. Thanks again for the help.

?

Its all part of the learning curve, cheers
    Doug