Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Too good to be true?

Article about: WWII original German combat Helmet M42. shell only | eBay https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/9GMAA...z2/s-l1600.jpg https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/dU4AA...zz/s-l1600.jpg https://i.ebayimg.com/im

Default Too good to be true?

WWII original German combat Helmet M42. shell only | eBay

Too good to be true?

Too good to be true?

Too good to be true?

Too good to be true?

Too good to be true?

This helmet is for sale on ebay, along with another one starting at a very low price of $9.99. That sounds way too good to be true, but I'd thought I'd ask in case it was real and I missed out. I would LOVE to just have a helmet shell, and this would fit the bill if it's real. The helmet has the M42 flare by the looks of it. The vent holes look correct, but perhaps maybe to "muted" (wrong word).

It's obviously been painted though.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Too good to be true?
    P
    Many

Could you please download the helmet photos from eBay and add them to the post otherwise the thread becomes more useless later on once images disappear from eBay.

Looks OK from these images but I would ask for a side on shot from lower down and also ask the seller if there are any maker marks stamped inside the shell around the skirt. And obviously it’s been repainted post war.

?

Looks like an original shell that's been repainted, which the seller discloses

It's not too good to be true...$9.99 is a common starting bid, especially when the seller knows something like this will get enough attention to drive the bid up. Things listed with lower starting bids tend to sell higher than the same things with higher starting bids. It's one of the well-known tricks of auctions

Small bit of advice, don't whack up the link to the auction unless you don't want it!

Ditto to what Andy said - plus another thing to watch out with repainted shells is that while it looks original German steel, it could also be a bondo bucket ..... a rusted relic puttied over and painted. This is what you DON'T want ( I learned that very early on )
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

While I agree with you in things that may be mis-listed, in this case it's not really a big deal...there's no secrets on eBay with that title, and that seller...it was going to get plenty of views either way

And the odd 'please' and 'thank you' never goes astray either....

Get images of the maker marks, as it could also be a stripped and repainted Chinese repro.

Is it just photo links showing up? I posted it the first time with links, realized my mistake, then tried to redo it. I guess it didn't work. I'll try again.

I'm sorry about my manners. I was in a bit of a hurry (I'm a photographer, and lightning was in view - I did get a picture), but that's not an excuse.

I'll see about getting pics from the seller.

I'm not sure about how German helmets sell on eBay (starting bids) so I wasn't sure. For instance, when I see a civil war Confederate buckle starting at $9.99 I know it isn't any good.

Thanks guys.

The photos are now appearing so it’s all good. Thanks.

Just a good idea to get a manufacturers stamp as even M42’s can be faked.

Depends on the type or condition you are going for but relics often vary in price. What you could do is go to an eBay site and run a search on sold items. This should give you a good idea of how much you’d be looking at.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast