Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Took a chance on this Q M42 helmet

Article about: Have no idea if its real but for 200 bucks i couldnt say no. Just wanted to see if i made a mistake getting this thanks for your input

Hi Nick,
    Some had the ability to control the batch quality but others had to take what came from the rolling mills.
    I think the quality did vary but the basic steel type changed only to suit the different stamping methods ( speaking as a toolmaker myself ). The worker's skill ( or lack of ) at some factories made more of an impact on overall quality IMO.
    " When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble, give a whistle "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Took a chance on this Q M42 helmet
    P
    Many

Quote by real steel View Post
    Don't know what is painted on the front...a form of a red cross ? Not sure if that is period applied...however the good news is it's a rare helmet being a Q M42 which are not seen often. Actually a rare shell with the bead or without.
    It's a very late wartime piece...probably 1945 with the cloth liner...Think you did very well !!
    I'm not sure that the pain on the front is a "red cross" it looks too irregular to be one. More likely it was done to cover any of the original decal and thereby de-nazify it. It's a nice lid all the same but don't pay out to buy a story or a hunch.

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Hi Nick,
    Some had the ability to control the batch quality but others had to take what came from the rolling mills.
    I think the quality did vary but the basic steel type changed only to suit the different stamping methods ( speaking as a toolmaker myself ). The worker's skill ( or lack of ) at some factories made more of an impact on overall quality IMO.
    Thanks - always interesting to hear about the manufacturing process.
    Nick

Very interesting thread. Waiting to see follow up photos when it arrives.

William

Really looking forward to sharing pictures should be here in a week or so. Found out a little bit more information on Q42 helmets they have a more interesting history then I thought. Quist only started making them in 1944 and very few likely saw service before 1945. I found it interesting that most of them went to air defense groups and police very few were actually issued to the military. I am assuming it’s because quist thought them as inferior and is why they continued the m40 up until the end of the war for the military. Not sure if it’s all true but it makes a lot of sense why they continued making the m40 until the end.

Quote by Cort169 View Post
    Really looking forward to sharing pictures should be here in a week or so. Found out a little bit more information on Q42 helmets they have a more interesting history then I thought. Quist only started making them in 1944 and very few likely saw service before 1945. I found it interesting that most of them went to air defense groups and police very few were actually issued to the military. I am assuming it’s because quist thought them as inferior and is why they continued the m40 up until the end of the war for the military. Not sure if it’s all true but it makes a lot of sense why they continued making the m40 until the end.
    One can question, if their version of the M40 was so successful...why did they bother producing an M42 shell in the first place ? Especially since they manufactured the M40 model until wars end ?
    "When 10 men tell you you're drunk, you better lie down."
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

Very true makes you wander if they were threatened and made the m42 to stay “out of trouble” with high command.

mpw
    ?

Thanks to Dan I have learnt something new . I didn't know molybdenum was used in helmet production. My interest was peaked as I have a rotary engine Norton motorcycle and the end plates are molybdenum coated to withstand the extreme heat the unit produces.

Did you know "Big Bertha," the German 43-ton gun used in World War II, contained molybdenum, rather than iron, as an essential component of its steel, because of its much higher melting point.

Rgd's, Mark.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123