Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Two German helmets, M-35 and M-42.

Article about: Hey guys! I found these two helmets at a local store for \\$20 each. Guy thought they were post war. I belive they are both german WW2 helmets, that were refurbished by the Danish post war? Fi

Quote by Danmark View Post
    I think there is more to these helmets than meets the eye!
    The M35 is an SE shell and the M42 looks to be a Quist .... which makes it a real rare beastie as M42 Quists are thin on the ground!

It looks like they may even have used a German Luftschutz liner fitted to the shell ( with strengthening eyelets ) as they look very close??Attachment 805657

And when you say "post-war" it would only have been done in the years '45 - '47 as the Danish M1923 helmet was then phased out by the M48 US M1 type manufactured nearly identically to the US WW2 M1 Helmet. The Danish M.48 (model 1948) was a NATO contract helmet and every shell was manufactured either in Austria by the Ulbrichts firm or in Germany by the Linnemann-Schnetzer firm.

The plastic liners were also manufactured nearly identically to US WWII issue but were made in Denmark by Dansk Kunststof Industri.

I also found another picture online showing the crown rivets and "stripe" which I think is as you surmise - where the comb was for fire helmets.Attachment 805654

I think you have a couple of underrated gems!
    Cheers, Dan
    Thanks Dan! Wicked informative post! Should there be a "Q" somewhere on the M-42? Near the rear skirt? Or is it because the size and batch number are in two places like the earlier helmets?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

I thought photo 11 showed a Q in the stamp?
    " When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble, give a whistle "

I thought photo 11 showed a Q in the stamp?

I think it's a "0"?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	190.8 KB 
ID:	805672  

Well, one's a " SE64 " for sure, though I don't
    see a " Q/XX " anywhere.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Sorry Danny - I may have introduced a red herring (Danish of course )

But i stand by my other observations!
    " When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble, give a whistle "

Sorry Danny - I may have introduced a red herring (Danish of course )

But i stand by my other observations!
    Hahaha thanks again Dan!

Myself also got a Danish used ww2 m35 helmet. Mine is a Q64 and there is a number in the "neck" of the helmet but the Danish put their own number on it. Mine is 95. I bought it of a guy who thought it was a replica. 40 euro's. I checked on them and the only one i saw for sale in mint condition whent for 320 euro's. Don't know if that is a good or to high price.

I think because...
    A) they were a good, smart looking design ( better than the pudding bowls other armies used )
    B) to used a defeated foes design is a "up yours" sort of gesture.

Dan
    I agree. Plus, from the pragmatic viewpoint;

C) They were good quality, for the period.
    D) They were available in quantity greater than need in most cases (hundreds of thousands)
    E) They were cheap ie free! (not expensive to repaint) making this what planners call a low cost / no cost measure (depending on whether you re-paint etc).

It's a bit of a no brainer when your priorities are as they would have been at the end of a World War in a country putting itself back together post occupation. I think that the Low Countries did not do the same is most likey due to the proliferance of brand new US gear (in some case British gear too until people found that the US kit was much more "Gucci" Sorry I know that is a bit of a simplistic outlook! ) already in theatre that was never going to be economical to send back to the US.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12