Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Types of beaded Luftschutz helmets??

Article about: Well that's exactly what I though they were Joe, good description. I did like seeing the photo above of the beaded helmet in combat but without context it could be a late war thing or not ev

Default Re: Types of beaded Luftschutz helmets??

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/steel...aded-140996-2/

An old discussion on the subject, you argue the point better than I did in this thread Dan, but I've come to agree with the 'reject' opinion. The lids may have been heated before the bead added to avoid hardening problems perhaps?
    I missed that thread - but after reading it I still stand by my engineer's opinion ..... because images like this are hard to ignore!

FACT -Ripples occur when the gap between the die and the form is greater than the material it was designed for and pressure during the drawing process cannot be maintained. In other words, use a thinner gauge in a die made for thicker metal and hey presto, the end result is what you see here - it aint rocket science boys!
    This is NOT a reject - this was MEANT to be this way. No point setting out to make a combat helmet from lighter metal unless you DON'T have the correct metal to start off with!!!

So, how do we satisfy BOTH schools of thought? Well, here is a THIRD scenario.

1) Firstly ( when industry was strong and it was "springtime for Hitler and Germany" ) there WERE two separate production lines.

2) THEN when the Ruhr was carpet bombed and resources from the east impossible to get, the lines combined and the reject / rework method was started when ANY metal was used ( when maybe there were more rejects than good ones? )

Dan ( ahh, I love a robust debate )
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Types of beaded Luftschutz helmets??   Types of beaded Luftschutz helmets??  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Types of beaded Luftschutz helmets??
    P
    Many

This is just going off my untrained eye and my foggy memory... but the Luftschutz that's on it's way to you right now didn't have any flaws that come to mind that would have relegated it from combat duty to civil duty in my eyes.

It looks a little thinner than my Q M40 Joe, the visor is a good place to compare as you see the rolled edge straight on and can get a good judgement for the thickness. I'll try and take a pic later when I get home, it's a Q64 too so it will compare nicely.

Hallo Kumpels

i know this thread is rather old, but i am still fascinated by the beaded helmets. Even if they are relatively cheap and seem not to be the collectors wet dream, they are the most beautiful german helmets for me..
    Here i share a bunch of pics that i have picked out of old videos, here those helmets can be seen, mainly in Feuerwehr and Polizei- uses.. Maybe they can be helpful in future discussions about the subject..

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4