Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Unknown decal

Article about: by Collectorww2 Pictures aren't working for me +1

?

Default Re: Unknown decal

Well , you could take it back to the Norwegian colour, and leave the decals on, you should'nt have any trouble removing the camo paint and the Norwegian colour will be pretty hard to remove , just go easy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

I might attempt it at the weekend. Incidently, do you know why the norwegians chose to use the stalhelm when they had suffered occupation from the germans? Surely there were sufficient brodie helmets available from their british allies?

My guess is that this was because they were more advanced (I think) and, not to mention, #free# of charge

Quote by malex View Post
    I might attempt it at the weekend. Incidently, do you know why the norwegians chose to use the stalhelm when they had suffered occupation from the germans? Surely there were sufficient brodie helmets available from their british allies?
    These helmets are(Or were, I haven't checked the market recently) very very common, I have come across a lot of them on my path and passed on them every time because to me they were pretty ugly, I will probably get one in the future, but I'm not gonna go out of my way to get one.

The paint might be a bit harder to remove than modern paint as most of the times, the paint is at least 50-60 years old(Not sure when they painted them, but guessing right after the war/1950s). The helmets were in wide use in the Norwegian army after the war, My neighbor who was in the airforce in the 1950s used them a lot, he said they were much better than the British(And I'm quoting now) "Washing boards/soup bowls".
    The Norwegian army used a lot of captured German equipment after the war, when my father was in the army in the mid 60's they were switching out the Mausers for the G3(The Mausers were converted to 7,62 by the Norwegian army), he bought one for 125 kr, which is about 21$ or 13£ today's currency). If only he had known.... He still owns it, and I've fired it a lot over the years, but it's been about 1-2 years since the last time, might go out for a shoot this summer if we have the time.

Back to the helmets:
    As I said earlier, the Norwegian army used a lot of captured German equipment after the war, most likely because the equipment they had during the invasion and pre-war was very very outdated and German gear was very up to date. It could also be because there was so much gear, weapons, cannons, ammunition, you name it after their little "5 year vacation" which were completely free and at their disposal. The German helmets were not only used by the Norwegian army, but also the Civil defenses, Industrial defense etc etc(These were put out of service very late), who knows, there might still be a lot of them laying around in storage.

As for removing the paint etc: If I am not mistaken, it looks like you've scraped through to the bare metal? A lot of helmets were stripped of all original German paint and repainted, some helmets looks like they've been slapped with paint and thrown a Norwegian decal on, it varies from helmet to helmet. Some helmets have their original German liner in it, some have red dyed liners, some have Norwegian made liners.

I've often fiddled with the idea of buying a lot of these, and strip off the post-war paint on those that still have original German paint and see what is hiding underneath.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from 38. Batterie, Heeres Küsten Artillerie Regiment 977, also from 31, 32 and 36. Batterie.

?

Wow, thats a wealth of information, many thanks for that. I suppose it makes perfect sense to requisition militaria, particularly if your country has been plundered for several years.

Hopefully you didn't pay an 'M40 camo' price for this lid.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Good luck with removing that Norwegian paint, its one of the hardest ive ever worked on, had to use Acid paint remover three times over as many days and even then there were still stubborn remnants

A question(Which I asked earlier): It looks like you've scraped down to the bare metal there, do you think there might be a layer of original German paint under the Norwegian paint? If there is no original paint under the helmet, I wouldn't bother stripping the Norwegian paint, just the modern one. I would suggest using acetone. Could we get a complete picture of the helmet+ liner etc?
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    Looking for militaria from 38. Batterie, Heeres Küsten Artillerie Regiment 977, also from 31, 32 and 36. Batterie.

?

Here are some pics of the helmet. I have decided not to strip the paint as there is lots of bare metal already on the helmet which is presumably why the previous owner lacquered it. Besides, it has its own unique history.Attachment 361787Attachment 361788Attachment 361789Attachment 361790

- - Updated - -

For anyone curious, I paid 100 British pounds for this particular stalhelm.

Pictures aren't working for me
    Best Regards

Vegard T.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast