Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

unusual colour helmet???

Article about: by talltom this is one weird helmet there looks to white and black helmet under the green paint The black is on top then green then white

?

Default Re: unusual colour helmet???

Quote by Bond View Post
    Or white primer/undercoat.
    I don't thik it is a primer or undercoat, it is quite a thick layer, and hard, but not isopon, i feel it is white paint, and as this one came out of Poland, so i could not see it being used for reenactments there, or ever being in Normandy either.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture unusual colour helmet???  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement unusual colour helmet???
    P
    Many

?

Had to take the liner out, for curiousity to get a better look
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture unusual colour helmet???   unusual colour helmet???  

White washed German winter camo helmets would only have a thin coating of paint, so it could be easily removed come spring time or so I understand.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

It is most definate that it was sprayed black, over the green while the liner was still in place.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture unusual colour helmet???  

there are a fair few reeactment groups in poland (just to point out) check out petrwarry1972 on youtube petrwarry1972's Channel - YouTube

?

Thanks for posting, this.
    I might stop on this one just for future ref, in case a similar olive green colour pops up, as it is very similar, to certain units uniforms
    Last edited by paddy; 12-08-2011 at 03:33 PM.

?

Rather than sanding (), why not use Acetone (nail polish remover)? This will remove any newer paint very easily and in the event you do reach original paint, it shouldn't effect it unless the acetone is left on too long.

The restoration section of the forum has lots of info on how to remove paint with acetone.

And no offense, but I think any restorer would go insane knowing that you are using sandpaper!

?

I cannot fathom why people use sandpaper to rub the paint off, no matter how careful you think your being there will be scratches going deeper than you want and possibly into original paint, as for this helmet you show , it has been overpainted many times for a reason, it is a relic helmet, you can tell by the attempt to cover the interior rust in the dome, its rough and pitted and possibly has a hardened filler or undercoat applied, try a magnet test, go over the whole helmet and see if there are any areas that fail to stick properly inside and out,but even thats not a complete foolproof method

?

I will try this tomorrow, it is a good theory, but i would inmagine anyone using a hard filler would have covered the whole shell if was relic, it's a tough one to call but no doubt that shade of green paint is interesting.

Sanding is a huge 'No-No' in my book. It will KILL any
    original surface and drastically affect the value !

The only reason anyone should want to use sandpaper
    on a helmet would be to get down to the bare
    metal for restoration.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast