Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Urban legend?????

Article about: I remember my grand-dad regularly wearing his old greatcoat well into the 1960's, it ended up as a blanket for the family dog! And when I was clearing out the house and garage when my gran d

Default Re: Urban legend?????

my great-grandfather fought alongside t.e. lawrence in palestine during the great arab revolt. he used to tell me stories of how he would go on raids at night to demolish sections of turkish railroad so that the trains carrying soldiers would derail. he used to have all kinds of things, including turkish helmets, uniforms, and even his enfield that he used. the israelis confiscated the enfield in 1948 but i have been in search of those turkish uniforms and helmets for years!!!!

p.s. harry, id love to hear about your experiences there. i like listening to veterans of just about anything haha

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Urban legend?????
    P
    Many

i have an SS camo helmet on its way from my great uncle. it sat in his basement for years and when he heard i collected ww2 militaria he mailed it off to me. It belonged to his dad. Im really excited all i know right now is that it has an ss decal and camouflage paint to it. The paint is a tan and green as he described. I CANT WAIT!!!!!! it should be another 2 days or so until it arrives

Quote by jimpy View Post
    I remember my grand-dad regularly wearing his old greatcoat well into the 1960's, it ended up as a blanket for the family dog!
    And when I was clearing out the house and garage when my gran died 3 years ago, I found a lot of small pieces, which, with hind-sight, I should have kept, these were mainly tools etc.
    The one thing that I do regret not hanging onto when I cleared the house was what we always called the "tank sheet". It was a tank tarpaulin in heavy khaki coloured canvas. We used to put it down on the lawn as a groundsheet. That sheet had generations of kids crawling all over it and if I had known then, what I know now, it would have had another generation crawling on it, my grand-daughter was borne November 2009..........Oh well, we live and learn.
    congratulations on the grandaughter jimpy!!!!!

Quote by waffenrock42 View Post
    i have an SS camo helmet on its way from my great uncle. it sat in his basement for years and when he heard i collected ww2 militaria he mailed it off to me. It belonged to his dad. Im really excited all i know right now is that it has an ss decal and camouflage paint to it. The paint is a tan and green as he described. I CANT WAIT!!!!!! it should be another 2 days or so until it arrives
    You will have to post it and let us have a look ...................... !
    Regards,

Steve.

My dad told me that back when he was 16 or 17 in the late 1960's he got an M35 double decal Heer helmet from his uncle, he said it was in mint shape and didn't have any scratches or marks. He said he used to wear it while riding around town in the car with his buddies lol.

He ended up giving it to a friend that wanted to paint it silver and use it as a motorcycle helmet

Quote by Wehrmacht39 View Post
    My dad told me that back when he was 16 or 17 in the late 1960's he got an M35 double decal Heer helmet from his uncle, he said it was in mint shape and didn't have any scratches or marks. He said he used to wear it while riding around town in the car with his buddies lol.

He ended up giving it to a friend that wanted to paint it silver and use it as a motorcycle helmet
    a sad end to a beautiful helmet

As a 12 year old in 1970 I stayed in a small town in Sonora Mexico. One day when it was raining I saw an old man sweeping water from his doorway while wearing a felt model DAK Heer pith helmet. I asked him about it and he said that a pilot had landed ther in 1945 and had traded a bunch of items to get shelter, food and teansportation. He said the pilot was German and fleeing after the war. I bought the helmet for 25 pesos (Two US Dollars at the time). He showed me a huge thick silver bracelet with a gorgeous eagle and inscriptions which I knew nothing about. He would not sell it to me. He had some pins and awards as well, but I don't recall what they were. At the time I was in awe as I had never seen real "Nazi" stuff before in my life. I never got a chance to go back to that town and haveno idea what happened to the old man and his items. I ended up selling my pith in 1978 when I joined the US Army for about 30 dollars. I will always regret that. I have no idea how genuine the old man's story was, but the helmet certainly was original and I suspect the silver items were as well.

The granddad of an friend of my had an nice story too.

His granddad was head of the recistance around Amersfoort, Netherlands.

We he died they opent the safe, this safe was 3x3 meter and you could stand in it. was an old bank safe. In the safe they found a lot of weapons and an german officier uniform wich they killed during the war. They closed the safe and kept it all in side. the uniform is in exelent state and all the weapons too. But they dont want to say anything else about it.. it is an familie sercret.

?

I went to a boarding school when I was 10-13. One of the teachers was an ex POW. He brought back with him a deactivated(I hope) German hand granade and a (if i remember correctly) a double decal Police helmet. It sat on the shelf of our school room and then was put in a cupboard. I remember going into the cupboard and trying it on. I think this is where I started my interest with all of this. I wonder where they are now?

?

Quote by waffenrock42 View Post
    congratulations on the grandaughter jimpy!!!!!
    Thanks for that mate.

Somehow, I think that this is one female child who is going to grow with an interest in the military whether she likes it or not.........her dad, (my eldest son), is a serving soldier and they live in married quarters on one of the garrison "pads" in Wiltshire.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast