Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Value of German WWII helmets, how to I.D. and the different types.

Article about: Hello, I adore the look of the WWII Stahlhelm, but every time I've seen one they are extraordinarily expensive. What is the value of an authentic one, in decent condition w/liner. As well, h

Default Value of German WWII helmets, how to I.D. and the different types.

Hello, I adore the look of the WWII Stahlhelm, but every time I've seen one they are extraordinarily expensive. What is the value of an authentic one, in decent condition w/liner. As well, how can they be identified from each other and from fakes, and what other types are there (M42, M1916 etc.)? Thanks for any help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Value of German WWII helmets, how to I.D. and the different types.
    P
    Many

I’m no expert, but the 3 main types of WW2 helmets would be the M35, M40, and M42. The values can vary by the hundreds and even thousands depending on the paint, condition, decals, etc. I’ve come across a few decent helmets but most I see with the liner are upwards of $500 and they’re usually far from being in good quality condition. It all depends though on exactly what type of helmet it is however.

It would take volumes to answer your questions. Start by reading some of the pinned threads on this forum, go back through the posted threads, and consider buying a good reference book. To my mind, Ken Niewiarowicz's book Germany's Combat Helmets 1933-1945, A Modern Study is about the best out there. Study up a bit, go to a few militaria shows to see helmets in the flesh, and above all start out modestly, don't try to score the double decal SS Paratrooper helmet for your first piece. When/if you decide to take the plunge and actually buy something post pictures here for review before dropping your cash. The members will help you for the most part and possibly save you a bundle of money. Jim G.

By the way, DD SS paratrooper helmets do not exist. Jim G.

I see you are new here & obviously have no experience with helmets.

There is an entire "Sub Forum" here devoted to German steel helmets. The posts go back for a decade. Take some time & review prior & current posts & you should see about everything from various makers & models & the different branches of service identified by the paint & decals.

Good Luck & Welcome here !!

Jim...guess we were typing at the same time !!

I've been a collector since 1975 and purchased my first WWI era M16 Stahlhelm for 50 US. Since then, I have seen the prices go up every year. I understand your concern about prices but please do yourself a favor. Don't purchase a rusty, chewed up piece. Check some of our sponsors for prices and start a little savings account with a goal to locate a good selection. Decide what type you want to pursue. Forget about an SS helmet this early. I will suggest looking at a Heer or Luftwaffe helmet with single decal. If you want to go cheaper, look for an M42 Heer helmet with no decals. Plan on having at least 500 US for something decent. If you can budget a little higher in the 600 to 700 US range there will be more and better choices. NH

And yes - please follow the advice mentioned above! Research, share photos before you purchase and don't buy the story, buy the item.

?

helmet2id, real steel and Neil Hever have given great and sound advice for any new collector concerning "Lids"
    I would suggest that you look at some of their past threads .. JMO G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

MAP
    ?

BTW. Ken's wonderful book is out of print. Can still be found online used I think.

It is worth every penny and more.

Jim's advice is spot on as well as David and Neil.

One very important point that we all have fallen victim to. Do not succumb to Helmet Fever. Just remember to keep telling yourself when you see "that helmet". Repeat to yourself over and over: "I do NOT have to buy this helmet right now or I will MISS the chance of a lifetime".

If you rush, you WILL get burned. Take your time, take photos, study it, POST it here for review (and give your opinions - a great way to learn) and then if given the OK -> buy it. If you miss out, so be it, there were millions of these helmets produced and literally hundreds available for sale at any point in time so there will be plenty of opportunities.
    Last edited by MAP; 12-06-2017 at 04:19 AM.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Quote by Gwar View Post
    helmet2id, real steel and Neil Hever have given great and sound advice for any new collector concerning "Lids"
    I would suggest that you look at some of their past threads .. JMO G
    There will be helmet envy G I know I get it LoL
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks, I will definitely do some research!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast