Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vet Art Camo Re-visited

Article about: I believe I posted this helmet about a year ago for opinions on the paint being wartime or immediate post war Vet Art, so I hope the Moderators don't mind me posting it again with much bette

Default Vet Art Camo Re-visited

I believe I posted this helmet about a year ago for opinions on the paint being wartime or immediate post war Vet Art, so I hope the Moderators don't mind me posting it again with much better photos. If I remember correctly, there were mixed reviews, a lot due to my crappy photography skills. I had put it away and forgotten about it, but yesterday was sunny so I decided to take a few more pics. So, lets try this again and see if we can nail this one down. Maybe we can, maybe we can't, but lets have the discussion.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vet Art Camo Re-visited   Vet Art Camo Re-visited  

Vet Art Camo Re-visited   Vet Art Camo Re-visited  

Vet Art Camo Re-visited  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Vet Art Camo Re-visited
    P
    Many

Default Re: Vet Art Camo Re-visited

I would say vet art camo and decals on a reissue M35. Maybe he wanted one with insignia like his buddies had. I remember this one from last time I think.

Have you ever lokked up the feldpostnummer? The helmet came from 9. Batterie, Stellungs-Werfer-Regiment 101, which was destroyed in Cherbourg. This would add a bit of supporting evidence to the 'vet art' side, seeing as how it's pickup location would have given a soldier plenty of time to create such a masterpiece.

It looks period painted to me, I like it

I never did look up the number. Of that's the case than that's very cool. Thanks for looking into that. I can see traces of paint below the top coat. Makes you wonder what kind of paint is below. Guess we will never know. My opinion is its all period done art work. The look, patina and the feel in hand is very convincing. Too bad it doesn't have it's insides. This may be my second helmet from the Cherborg area. The other I have not confirmed. Limited veteran bring back info.

No problem.

It's definitely a Heer helmet. Perhaps it was a double decal reissue?

I still think that it's obvious that the G.I. who liberated /picked it up did this painting of the shield and swastika. Certainly, no German painted this.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Agreed. Made use of some free time and decorated a lid. And yes, I imagine a DD Heer or Heer reissue. If only helmets could speak, the stories they would tell.

Quote by helmetone View Post
    I never did look up the number. Of that's the case than that's very cool. Thanks for looking into that. I can see traces of paint below the top coat. Makes you wonder what kind of paint is below. Guess we will never know. My opinion is its all period done art work. The look, patina and the feel in hand is very convincing. Too bad it doesn't have it's insides. This may be my second helmet from the Cherborg area. The other I have not confirmed. Limited veteran bring back info.
    I guess it has no insides as there probably was not much of them left after the strike this lid took!!! The art work looks to have a good age and patiner to it to me,so i go for period vet art. Leon.

?

Vet are or just plain old art, its no way to know who laid hands on the paint brush and no way to know. My first ever helmet given to me by my uncle, a painter, was going to be painted and turned to art if I didn't want it. (Look what he started....). For me a classic "vet art" helmet is when the unit and some unit insignia and or perhaps where the veteran fought or went through is true vet "art".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast