Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Vet Art Helmet for review.

Article about: Hi,just my opinion but i think the vet "art" is fairly recent.On the picture where the place name VEGESACK is,the K is right on top of a well worn pin,looking every bit as good as

Default Re: Vet Art Helmet for review.

Hi,just my opinion but i think the vet "art" is fairly recent.On the picture where the place name VEGESACK is,the K is right on top of a well worn pin,looking every bit as good as the rest of the writing.The decal looks good although i would say that it is unusual that this being a transitional helmet it shows no sign of having had a national shield?I just feel it is a good(and rare)single decal transitional helmet that has unfortunatly had somebody paint a list of service out of a history from a text book on it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Vet Art Helmet for review.
    P
    Many

Interesting helmet, but i cannot figure out for the life of me what state LI (IL) is supposed to be

Don,t you think if it was done in recent times that the artist would of put a name of a G.I into the fray?
    Rgds peter

Google camp upton,and the magic of the internet tells me it is on long island! As you say kiwipete you would think it would be topped off with a name,rank,number+promotions(i'm sure this guy with a service history like this and those wounds would have added that in).The lack of personel detail suggests to me this is modern. Also this would have been painted after the war had ended one way or the other as a GI would have better things to lug about during the conflict than a german helmet.

Not many vet art helmets have the vets information on it so as such I wouldn't dismiss it. But as with any helmet with paint on the factory paint you have to follow your gut instinct. I think it is genuine , but that's my opinion.

Thanks for your replies i,ll sleep on it tonight and get back to the owner in the morning after hopefully a few more thoughts on the helmet.
    The owner wants 1500 for it.
    Might be a little steep but I do like it etc.
    Rgds peter

Of course the text painting is post war for the obvious reasons mentioned elsewhere.

But surely adding the service history to the helmet post-war IMO is no different than servicemen adding captions to photograph albums that were created back-home when films could be processed and prints made. It doesn't make the helmet a lesser treasure...assuming the helmet and decal are all "kosher" which I can't comment on. As a record of a service man's history applied in this way I very much like it

It would have been nice to have a name on the helmet for sure, but the reason could be that when this was painted the serviceman knew who he was and so did his family and therefore didn't think he needed his name adding to it. Again using the photo album analogy many captioned albums don't have the creators name along with the captions probably for the same reason.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

I have seen this one over there and I like it too. Fort Dix was used as a receiving depot for many soldiers coming home after the war.

I do see your point gentlmen,maybe it's just this one does'nt "flick my switches".I would personally would have prefered the helmet in an untouched state unless i could put a name to the vet who brought it back. Good wishes on whatever you decide to do kiwipete!
    Last edited by FALLSCHIRMJAGER; 01-13-2013 at 02:07 PM. Reason: missing word!!

The decal looks good. I think that the vet art was a wartime addition. Sometimes rust can form and it doesnt affect the paint on top of it too much. Either way, it's vet art, so I don't suppose it would really matter whether or not it was wartime or slightly postwar anyway. Pull the trigger if the price is right.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast