Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vet Art M42 NS66 ND Lot#D385

Article about: A new addition. Was not expecting to pick up a helmet but once my friend showed it to me I really liked it. Difficult to photograph given the black paint and varnished. A nice but very weird

MAP
    ?

Default Vet Art M42 NS66 ND Lot#D385

A new addition. Was not expecting to pick up a helmet but once my friend showed it to me I really liked it.

Difficult to photograph given the black paint and varnished.

A nice but very weird Vet art ND NS66 M42 (lot # D385) with a story waiting to be teased out of it. Did a vet paint it? Or was it tarted up by a supply Sgt to sell to a GI looking for a souvenir?

If the former, it does appear to track all the places the vet visited, even including Canada and England with "USA 194?" on the top (thus assuming the vet did not yet know when he was going home I guess).

Nice hand painted SS runes and swastika that when viewed close up, looks like a puff pastry with the runes and swaz baked into it. You can see where it was masked off with tape prior to the white background being painted.

Liner has been removed at one point by the vet (to paint the helmet?). Appears the split pins broke or were lost so they were replaced with screws and nuts (which are untouched). The rear split pin is missing the washer and is bent.

Overall the helmet is in very good condition, excellent patina and crazing to the paint. Liner is solid and leather still soft.

Not for everyone maybe but I hope you enjoy!

Michael

Vet Art M42 NS66 ND Lot#D385Vet Art M42 NS66 ND Lot#D385
    Vet Art M42 NS66 ND Lot#D385
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Vet Art M42 NS66 ND Lot#D385
    P
    Many

I like it. Will display well with your other gems!

Mart

Very interesting piece of a veteran's service. Too bad the name of the vet is lost to time. A great historical item.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Very unusual Michael...
    This guy sure got around ( not sure how he got to Brest as well as the Bulge? ) but it is neat and quite the talking piece!!
    Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Dan,
    My grandfather was in Brest in July of 44 and the Bulge that Dec. with the 644th TD's. Five battle stars
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Thanks Marty.. i didnt know the movements of the divisions were that efficient after the breakout? Maybe the guy was a tanker?
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

What an interesting GI souvenir! I wonder about the un-finished date of "194?" Did he make it home or ended up a casualty himself in the closing days of the war? Without his name, we will never know-but what a great conversation piece! Nicely found!

(I like the nut and bolt! lol)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

When the German break out in the Ardennes occurred, the Western Allies commandeered any unit that was not engaged and rushed them to the front to block the German offensive.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

MAP
    ?

Thank you all Gentleman for your kind words. Glad you liked it.

Agree. Sure is an interesting and unique piece. This guy got around for sure....Wales???

Hey, maybe he was a war correspondent?

But I have to agree with Bob. Too bad the original owner is lost to time. I think this one has changed hands at least once before I got it. Maybe more. So no going backwards unfortunately.

And yes William, the nuts and bolts are the icing on the cake. Wouldn't be the same with standard split pins. And hopefully he did make it home and the "?" was just that, a question mark. There is nothing written after "USA 194? on". Doesn't look like anything chipped or worn away.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I gave always had a soft spot for vet helmet like this. Nice lid my friend.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast