Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Volkssturm helmet for review

Article about: I have been after this helmet for 3 months and finally have it in hand for inspection. The helmet is a vet bring back, that sat in the shop/garage for years. Glue was spilled on the helmet,

Default Volkssturm helmet for review

I have been after this helmet for 3 months and finally have it in hand for inspection. The helmet is a vet bring back, that sat in the shop/garage for years. Glue was spilled on the helmet, not sure if it will come off. The helmet is a Luftwaffe helmet you can still see the Adler under the paint. The helmet looks to have varnish applied, my guess if you look close It appears that the helmet was black, maybe from a flak unit, again just a guess. The liner is shot but the pins are tight and do not look to have been removed. I can take better pictures if needed when I get home tonight.

Time for your thoughts. Marty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Volkssturm helmet for review   Volkssturm helmet for review  

Volkssturm helmet for review   Volkssturm helmet for review  

Fortune favors the brave 644th td

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Volkssturm helmet for review
    P
    Many

Interesting helmet. Are there any period photos of these helmets being worn with the Adler marking on the front.

More
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Volkssturm helmet for review   Volkssturm helmet for review  

Pins are black, over the tan, so it looks like they were out while it was painted? I'd sauy leave it as is, you'll never remove any of the glue without removing the paint it's stuck to, and it goes right down the Adler. I'd say enjoy it just the way it is.

If you do decide to try and remove the glue, gentle slight heating of the glue so it doesnt get runny should alow you to scoop it of with a soft object without spreading the glue all over the helmet.

I would consider the adler and swastika to be enhancement and not something worn by a soldier. I have seen a few similar helmets over the years and all appear to be done immediately after the war. Why would any soldier want to put such a large target on the front of his head?
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

I am not a helmet expert so others should chime in. The Adler on the helmet does not match any pattern of Third Reich eagle I have ever seen. It appears to be some kind of fantasy marking. It also looks like this helmet was heavily worn and abused by someone - maybe a kid playing in the back yard. What makes it a Volkssturm helmet? NH

The Adler I was referring to was the Luftwaffe eagle you can still see under the paint.

My thought as to it being a volkssturm helmet is due to the insignia found on Volkssturm armbands. Image posted. I truly do not believe in anyway this is a kids helmet. Question,is if it were a kids or post war would a Vet or kid but a large Swastica on the front, why would you put a insignia like this one. Marty

Sorry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Volkssturm helmet for review  

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast