Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Weird markings on a M42

Article about: I had no intention of buying it,but since its so rare it's a shame to leave it like this..

?

Default Weird markings on a M42

Hey guys I'm wondering the stamp on top of the lot number is it the name of the maker and if so which maker is it?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Weird markings on a M42  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Weird markings on a M42
    P
    Many

?

Looks like an upside down q in qvl and the 7 is upside down as well, to me it looks like a qvl70. Same font as qvl/ckl/ET

?

Hmm thats strange because according to the seller's info the helmet is a size 62.. Any way thanks for the help Doug!

Emanuil.

I've never seen a maker "b" so I think Doug's answer is spot on.

?

Quote by Ripper View Post
    Hmm thats strange because according to the seller's info the helmet is a size 62.. Any way thanks for the help Doug!

Emanuil.
    The size be miss tamped like the maker is, I have seen an SS helmet stamped ET67, in fact Jody posted it here not long ago I think.

There is an unknown maker of late War M42's, and the maker mark is usually "qvl". Sometimes the "q" is up side down, and it is marked "bvl", and sometimes the first letter is either lightly struck or not applied and the maker's mark appears to be "vl". The lot numbers are all in the 5000 range. Many collectors think this unknown maker was affiliated with the ET factories because the shell shape, the combat paint, the font of the stamps, and the dome stamps all look very similar. Now that you said it, I can see that it does look like a "bvl 62". These are relatively rare, and collectors that like odd balls, like myself, like them a lot. I have a "qvl" and a "vl" example that retain their war time paint and liners. Many were reissued post war by the Czechs, refitted with new liners and repainted black. This one appears not to have been repainted. Please post pictures of the whole helmet. I think you have a winner here. Jim G.

?

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    There is an unknown maker of late War M42's, and the maker mark is usually "qvl". Sometimes the "q" is up side down, and it is marked "bvl", and sometimes the first letter is either lightly struck or not applied and the maker's mark appears to be "vl". The lot numbers are all in the 5000 range. Many collectors think this unknown maker was affiliated with the ET factories because the shell shape, the combat paint, the font of the stamps, and the dome stamps all look very similar. Now that you said it, I can see that it does look like a "bvl 62". These are relatively rare, and collectors that like odd balls, like myself, like them a lot. I have a "qvl" and a "vl" example that retain their war time paint and liners. Many were reissued post war by the Czechs, refitted with new liners and repainted black. This one appears not to have been repainted. Please post pictures of the whole helmet. I think you have a winner here. Jim G.
    You guys pretty much covered it on the maker mark thanks!Here are the pictures but I'm not so sure its a winner Jim.

Emanuil.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Weird markings on a M42   Weird markings on a M42  

Weird markings on a M42   Weird markings on a M42  

What a shame. It would never have had an aluminum liner. It certainly would never have had a Luftwaffe decal, and it's service life wouldn't have been long enough for it to have gone through campaigns that would have warranted several field reprints, including a winter camo coat. Too bad, looks like it was put through the mill. Jim G.

?

Yes exactly.. If the price goes low i might try to save this one...Do you think its worth the effort?

Sure, if it's cheap enough. It's a rare shell. You could sell the liner since it does no belong.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast