Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What is a better investment?

Article about: I have a question. What is a better investment, and I know this can be bias due to me posting to the helmet forum side. collection helmets or firearms? I know with helmets and firearms there

Default What is a better investment?

I have a question. What is a better investment, and I know this can be bias due to me posting to the helmet forum side. collection helmets or firearms? I know with helmets and firearms there are the factors of rarity,condition.....etc. I posted a p38 ac44 on the firearm forum and to by it I may need to sell a helmet.I may not, I am still putting everything together. In the long run and not having a crystal ball what are your thoughts? Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What is a better investment?
    P
    Many

collect for the love of history and what your heart desires most.
    As with all investments you can win and loose money , no-one has a crystal ball so best stick to what I wrote in my first sentence.

i collect because i enjoy it - if you want investment buy classic cars or gold :-)

Guys do not get me wrong I do collect for the enjoyment and the love of history. My grandfather served in the 644th tank destroyer that is why I took the name. But if anyone collecting has NEVER thought or thinks at times that the piece he or she bought will increase in value or has SOLD a piece that did to buy something else then we are all in the wrong hobby. I know any and all decisions are up to me or anyone making the choice when it comes to collecting history.

I try to make calculated purchases so that I don't overspend on any items current value. That's about it. Other than that, I collect the things I like to own. I would like to believe that if I had to unload them I'd at least get what I paid for. But you can't always count on that. Feel free to throw around the label "investment" with your spouse however

?

I understand what you are saying Marty, I do the same thing. Of course I do not want to buy something and be upside down later. However - with that said, I cant predict the future. So everything I buy, is because I want it. I even have a hard time selling what I have now! ha-ha... I buy on best price vs. want.. lol Sometimes I pay a bit more... So, with that said - it all depends on how bad you want your item, the conundrum of if it's worth the resources needed to acquire it, and what you would rather look at in your collection... I have zero help on "what" you should actually do Sir.. Cheers!

I deal with the question by collecting both!
    Steve

Duff, that is my problem I have trouble letting go of something because I like everything I have. Part of that is being an only child. I do have the money to buy the pistol, happy valentines to me!!! But at time as adults which at times I am not one we have to decide what do I want more.. This or that...and decide do I need to sell something to get it, and then buying it to maybe sell at a later date to buy that thing (ss helmet) you really want for the collection. I guess collecting up is what I try to do. I don't know if that is a correct term. Marty

Nowadays I generally won't buy Militaria unless the item is scarce or historically significant and I'm certain that the price is far below market value...I always buy with the intent of at least doubling my money when/if I ever decide to sell it...I've never been a man of wealth, and have always had to rely upon my research, knowledge, and gut-instinct of the material and the Militaria-market in the US and EU...The trick is to know a good deal when you see one...and be smarter than the seller...
    cheers, Glenn

very Good advice Glenn. Marty, you have very good advice from the very best here. you decide.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast