Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What do I have here? Kriegsmarines Helmet??

Article about: Hello Gents I do not have many helmets in my collection but when I was contacted by a guy yesterday saying he had a German helmet I had to investigate. I drove to a town called Western in So

Default What do I have here? Kriegsmarines Helmet??

Hello Gents I do not have many helmets in my collection but when I was contacted by a guy yesterday saying he had a German helmet I had to investigate. I drove to a town called Western in Southeast Nebraska to his house on a hope and a prayer that it was a good one. The seller said he got the helmet from his dad who kept it in the shed behind their house for years. He said his dad was friends with a vet ( Sgt Milo J Kumpost) that sent it to him during the war and then was KIA in France. Anyway I know the story sounds good but I was wondering if the helmet is legit? It looks okay to me but again I dont have much to compare it to and I am not sure, but when looking on the forum that maybe it is a Kriegsmarines helmet. Any comments would be much appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6071.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	195.7 KB 
ID:	649672   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6069.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	649673  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6074.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	649674   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6072.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	143.4 KB 
ID:	649675  

Name:	IMG_6070.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	649676   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6068.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	649677  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

A KM it isn't. Maybe a toned Heer but that decal just doesn't look right. I will let others chime in.

Default Decal

The decal is old an cracked but I think it is a good one. Here is a photo in better lighting.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6090.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	197.1 KB 
ID:	649695  

There appears to be gold flecks in the decal, although this could be the lighting. I'm willing to go against the odds and say this is a KM helmet.

I like it. Outside photos would be best. The glare is killing the detail...especially the color...in the decal, making it tough to say for sure either way.

?

Daylight photo of the decal would help.
    Collect ROA, Cossack, Schuma and other WW2 Volunteer militaria.

"Be Humble and kind, for you may find that it was Odin you entertained"

Thanks guys...it is 8:45 pm here right now but I will take one tomorrow at lunch time and post it. If I hold it up to a bright light I can see almost a shiny metallic gold color.

It is a good decal. My bet is a Heers. Marty

Oh, forgot to say good looking helmet. Look to be a m40, the chinstrap from the photos looks good would like to see close up of the chinstrap to confirm. Marty
    Last edited by tank destroyer; 02-20-2014 at 05:25 AM.

Default Chin Strap

Thank you, here are a few close ups of the chin strap...

Name:	IMG_6092.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	170.8 KB 
ID:	649702   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6094.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	649701  

Name:	IMG_6091.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	649700  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast