Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

what do you think about this helmet?

Article about: The liner looks authentic enough to me , what youve got to remember is that us old cynics sometimes find it hard to believe that something can look totally genuine but we have an inherrent d

Default Re: what do you think about this helmet?

Quote by ahrtal View Post
    I've noticed that often the helmets refurbed by the Norwegians often appear to be done on a 'by helmet" process. Most of the ones I've run across seem to be consistent with the original configuration. I've seen several M35 refurbs that conform to the original issue, i.e., either the original unreinforced or reeinforced M31 aluminum liner, correct M40 configuration or M42. Was each original helmet disassembled, stripped, repainted, leather dyed, etc. then reassembled? It doesn't appear that all helmets were taken apart, thrown into a pile, and just "mixed and matched" on a random basis.

I think your idea of the 'by helmet' process is accurate. Disassembly and reassembly on every single helmet would have been way too much work.

New chinstraps and liners to replace only worn, broken or unserviceable ones, and then simply repainted and Norwegian decals added. This would be the best and most economical route.

That is still a very nice helmet though - I'd have it in my collection any day ! As for the liner, it looks darker than most Norwegian 'red' ones I've seen. Maybe it's a combination of the original owners sweat, and then a little
    saddle soap from Dad !

Regards, Steve.
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 04-22-2010 at 07:38 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Hi, what kind of decals do you think this is, or what decals is it traces from?

/Farradin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Left side.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	233.4 KB 
ID:	98921   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Right side.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	229.4 KB 
ID:	98922  

Heer decals by the looks of it.

Cheers, Ade.

Okey, But it looks like traces from a ss rune on the right side? But it's hard to tell. So it's more likely to be heer than SS?

/Farradin

+1 for Ade!

?

Hope it's okay to hijack this old thread, what is the best way to remove paint: aceton or smooth sand-paper?

Quickest way of ruining a helmet would be to use sandpaper.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123