Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

what do you think of this now.

Article about: I'm sorry, but I don't agree with the "somewhat"....personally, I think you've taken a fairly scarce German Naval helmet and basically destroyed it. It's a shame that you didn't as

Default Re: what do you think of this now.

As long as you like it, it's good, but I'll be sure to stay away from this helmet with lube on it
    Look's good though

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement what do you think of this now.
    P
    Many

?

Perhaps the other photos will look abit better in natural daylight

Did you use a Solvent to remove the Varnish?
    or any type of steel Wool?
    or a wire Brush?
    and what type of chemicals were in the Solvent?
    paint thinner?
    acetone?

these are important questions because in the future if you decide to sell this Helmet
    the Value will be less.

I'm interested in seeing better quality pictures...

mpw
    ?

Although i have only been collecting military items for a short while i have been a collector of all things old for many years and this includes a fair bit of restoration. To my eye you have improved the look of the item although better photos in natural light will confirm this. I am sure many will see the coating of varnish as part of the helmets history whether it was done in period or by someone last year but I certainly couldn't live with the item covered in some gloopy varnish with brush hairs sticking out. Just a tip for the future, when cleaning or removing any type of muck or coating always start off with the mildest and least caustic solution possible and test on a small inconspicuous area first. Paint or varnish stripper can go through to bare metal very quickly and even if you wash it off within seconds can still leave the remaining paint soft and structurally altered.
    Regards, Mark.

[QUOTE=mpw;457388]Although i have only been collecting military items for a short while i have been a collector of all things old for many years and this includes a fair bit of restoration. To my eye you have improved the look of the item although better photos in natural light will confirm this. I am sure many will see the coating of varnish as part of the helmets history whether it was done in period or by someone last year but I certainly couldn't live with the item covered in some gloopy varnish with brush hairs sticking out. Just a tip for the future, when cleaning or removing any type of muck or coating always start off with the mildest and least caustic solution possible and test on a small inconspicuous area first. Paint or varnish stripper can go through to bare metal very quickly and even if you wash it off within seconds can still leave the remaining paint soft and structurally altered.
    Regards, Mark.[/QUOTE

hi what should you use.the decal has not been touched and is covered,i want it removed but dare not chance it,

mpw
    ?

I wouldn't attempt to remove the varnish covering the decal. The decal will be relatively fragile and as a fairly inexperienced restorer what ever method you use will ultimately result in some damage. You have done an ok job but remember what is done cant be undone and that decal is irreplaceable.

Mark.

We need daylight pics without flash!

?

It doesn't look bad its just that a vet probavly varnished it which means you took away the story of the helmet , It looks good but you lost the story aspect of it which is sad

Default Re: what do you think of this now.2

hi all heres the finished helmet ,leaving it alone now have not touched the emblam will leave alone im very happy with the finished thing looks great salty .how it should be.what do you think of this now.what do you think of this now.what do you think of this now.what do you think of this now.what do you think of this now.what do you think of this now.what do you think of this now.what do you think of this now.what do you think of this now.what do you think of this now.what do you think of this now.what do you think of this now.what do you think of this now.what do you think of this now.what do you think of this now.what do you think of this now.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast