Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

what do you think of this now.

Article about: I'm sorry, but I don't agree with the "somewhat"....personally, I think you've taken a fairly scarce German Naval helmet and basically destroyed it. It's a shame that you didn't as

Default Re: what do you think of this now.

I understand the members going over this helmet.I am a coin collector as well as a German memorabilla collector.Understand one thing from a guy whos been a coin collector and part time dealer.Mother nature has done a great job of putting on a patina or a little tarnish on many of the helmets,medals,daggers,etc.I could write an essay on the destruction of beautiful coins by steel wool,brillo and other castic chemicals.Leave the pieces alone!!! A tiny bit of light oil such as used on Samurai swords is okay and dont i repeat dont put leather preservatives on chinstraps and the liner.It will darken the liner to a dark color and you cannot clean this up!Why put varnish on a helmet as helmet collectors dont want this stuff on original pieces.Ask the Admistrators what they think of this practice.Leave what has been done by nature alone as i will tell you the more you screw around with the memorabilla the less you will receive.I see quite a few of you who think doing this or that to a piece whatever it is is good and in my IMO thats not good.NO ENHANCEMENT which alters the piece is good,but i am sure my experience over the years will meet with negative replies!! Goodbuys

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

In this light it actually looks a hellawa lot better But donīt touch the decal, doing so could end up in a horror show on a one way ticket.

i dont think varnish is patina ,and i dont think its tarnish its varnish different lol.i know the difference.

I personally really quite like it, and I'd give you your money back for it too if you ever wanted to move it on

i know its now good to look at.if it had natural patina i would never touch it,the helmet was almost black.as for selling it not at the moment,and i also know its value and i think its a lot morew than i paid,i sold a similar helmet for 600 several years ago.but if i sell il let you know as the strap liner is perfect,

?

I would have sent it to Bill Maertz and had it proffesionally done. The paint color now is nowhere near the original color anymore and it just looks unnatural and very messed with now - just my 2 cents worth. I sent a partially varnished lid to Bill and the result was spectacular. It was also a KM like this one.

Quote by DougB View Post
    I would have sent it to Bill Maertz and had it proffesionally done. The paint color now is nowhere near the original color anymore and it just looks unnatural and very messed with now - just my 2 cents worth. I sent a partially varnished lid to Bill and the result was spectacular. It was also a KM like this one.
    I second that, never dealt with him before but I have seen the results.

Quote by griffinz View Post
    i know its now good to look at.if it had natural patina i would never touch it,the helmet was almost black.as for selling it not at the moment,and i also know its value and i think its a lot morew than i paid,i sold a similar helmet for 600 several years ago.but if i sell il let you know as the strap liner is perfect,
    You would not get even close to top price with this lid's history now, but it still has some merit IMO

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    You would not get even close to top price with this lid's history now, but it still has some merit IMO
    True, anyone buying this will know that it has been cleaned, so while you may not get top value for it, it still doesn't look aweful. So you should easily be able to make a little profit off it.
    Regards

i would sell this for a descent price when i m ready ,it may not be pristine but i took no paint of it at all nothing so maybe it was not perfect too begin with, as for getting cleaned proffesionally i have noi knowledge of bill so i have what i have and im happy i did what ive done looks good too me.and im the one who looks at it everyday .

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast