Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What kind of helmet is this?

Article about: According to Ken Niewiarowicz, and other authors who have studied the history of the German steel helmet, when batches of helmets were found to have production defects, or failed ballistic i

?

Default What kind of helmet is this?

Hi,

I got some indenfication problems with a helmet I hope some of you guys can help me with.

It is about this helmet shown in the pictures. The owner tells me it is a m35 helmet which was worn by german soldiers who ride on motorcycles. This should be the reason why it have this bead around the base of the dome. - To make sure the motorcycle glasses would fit better on the helmet.

To me it looks a litle like a m35 luftshulz combat helmet but dosen't they used to be dark blue with a decal in front?

Do any one know exactly what kind of helmet it is?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What kind of helmet is this?   What kind of helmet is this?  

What kind of helmet is this?   What kind of helmet is this?  

What kind of helmet is this?   What kind of helmet is this?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What kind of helmet is this?
    P
    Many

Default Re: What kind of helmet is this?

Looks like ET64 on the skirt. Lot # 1075 or 1015? Not an M35, but an M40 rather. Split pins don't look right. Maybe post war brass. The bead could be to designate it as a reject and sent out for civilian use. Either the seller is lying to you, OR he has absolutely no idea what it is and is just making up information. You are very smart to post it here before buying! If you are looking to buy a German combat helmet, this isn't the one. Save your money and be patient, you will find one.

Hello,

Beaded helmets do indeed designate a helmet that was deemed unfit for front line service. I can tell you that unfortunately, no German soldier wore this helmet in that configuration during the second world war.

I am not well versed on the postwar usage of German helmets, though one of our other members may be able to fill you in on what nation used that liner system.

Keep looking for a different helmet and we will all be here to help you before you decide!

All the best,

Josh

?

Ive read arguments both for and against the argument, that the beaded bit should mean a 'rejected' helmet.
    Looking forward to hearing more about this.

You are right about the bead, and the seller's tale of motorcycle troops is sweet but sadly untrue. Luftschutz and Police used these primarily, in this colour it could have police use behind it. In any case I think it was used postwar as a fire helmet due to the interior black, and most likely had the black from the outside stripped. The liner I've not seen before but civic helmets surprise me with new varied types of liner regularly so I wouldn't worry about it. Probably put in by whatever nation used it for fire service.

Oh and it is an M40 not M35, stamped vents and rolled rim

What is the seller asking for it?

?

KradSpam, could you clarify in regards to the bead, please?
    For some reason, the argument that the bead should signify a 'reject' gets on my goat. Nothing personal against those who hold that belief (im by NO means an expert on this subject and others know far more than I).
    Its just that the beading=reject does not seem very plausible to me for some reason.

?

Last two pictures shows the stamps. The seller want 600 dkk which is about 100 USD for it.

I just went into this world a short while ago so I dont got a lot of experience but I could tell from some of my collectors books that the helmet looked strange.

I will say thanks a lot for all your advices, I don't think I will buy it now after hearing you guys opinion. The only information I have about the helmet is that it is found by a old man somewhere in Denmark. Probably in a basement or something. This old guy sold the helmet to the seller and I dont know if the story about the motorcycle goggles is his or the old man's
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What kind of helmet is this?   What kind of helmet is this?  

I think you made the right call not buying it. $100 is not totally unreasonable but you could spend it better elsewhere watch the classified section on this site if you want a nice original. Forum 'for sale' sections are one of the safest places to buy online due to them being surrounded by collectors, fakes don't last long. But still post for opinions if you are unsure.

Quote by Scout View Post
    KradSpam, could you clarify in regards to the bead, please?
    For some reason, the argument that the bead should signify a 'reject' gets on my goat. Nothing personal against those who hold that belief (im by NO means an expert on this subject and others know far more than I).
    Its just that the beading=reject does not seem very plausible to me for some reason.
    To be honest I'm on the fence on that. I've only got one beaded combat to examine too which doesn't help. It's generally accepted the bead was added after a flaw was found in the batch, and they went on to LS use etc. I can see the logic in it, but I also see an argument for the other camp which says they were designed like this. The beaded gladiator for example, it has a bead but there would be no need for it for ID purposes. I think I'm slightly leaning toward rejects these days though to be honest. It seems there are many that do in fact display a flaw of some kind, many don't but if one bad apple spoils the batch you would expect a few perfect ones I guess. There simply must be an old woman in Germany somewhere that worked at the factory and knows for sure....

Germans! Question your Grandparents!

The cork spaces between the liner and the shield are round, which means the liner is a post war installation. The Motor Cycle story is a fabrication.
    Last edited by helmet2id; 03-24-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast