Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What to make of this??? Stalag Luft III guard - Luftwaffe M42

Article about: Some of you may have already seen this... Obviously I have no intention of trying to acquire this item. I just thought it was an interesting topic for discussion. Not much in the way of phot

Default What to make of this??? Stalag Luft III guard - Luftwaffe M42

Some of you may have already seen this... Obviously I have no intention of trying to acquire this item. I just thought it was an interesting topic for discussion. Not much in the way of photos to make a judgement but I cant see much wrong with it from the ones available... If I had a helmet with the providence that this helmet claims to have, would I sell it on ebay? Would you?

German helmet WWII Stalag Luft III guard - Luftwaffe ' The Great Escape ' WW2 | eBay
    Last edited by Isle of Wighter; 01-21-2015 at 07:03 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What to make of this???   Stalag Luft III guard - Luftwaffe M42
    P
    Many

story of the week.LOL

?

'Holy Grail' items for the serious helmet or 'Great Escape' collector...

Pass.

btw - Providence is place in Rhode Island. Provenance is the term.

If the seller can indeed provide the provenance of the helmets connection to the late Wing Commander Nunn and the most famous escape of all, then yes, it would probably appeal to many collectors. There is no point in mocking the seller unless you have proof of this being some kind of fraud. If he say's he has that proof, why don't you ask to see it and then pass judgement?

?

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    If the seller can indeed provide the provenance of the helmets connection to the late Wing Commander Nunn and the most famous escape of all, then yes, it would probably appeal to many collectors. There is no point in mocking the seller unless you have proof of this being some kind of fraud. If he say's he has that proof, why don't you ask to see it and then pass judgement?
    OMFG. I'm giving this forum a wide berth for a while.....it's become ridiculous around here.

Quote by DougB View Post
    OMFG. I'm giving this forum a wide berth for a while.....it's become ridiculous around here.
    I'm not getting at anyone Doug. If you feel that I am, then I apologise. But the fact is that many people DO go for items like this. And if the seller has something to prove the truth behind the story, then it is not for us to mock him. Provenance does indeed add to value to an item as we all know.

Steve.

?

The seller must have forgot that the Great Escape occured in March 1944 as part of his pitch , so the 70th anniversary was last year !! Not the best start to his £3000 Provenance !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

It's not the first time it's been up for sale, when it first went up it was the 70th anniversary, not that it really matters.

?

Look, Nobodies mocking anyone.

Last time I checked the post title had 3 question marks.

I replied with a comedic expression of doubt, justifiably so given the source, the price and the single paragraph of provenance / story. And a Pass comment. I stand by my "pass" comment and little yellow man expression of doubt

Anyway, I have to go run to the store, I'm all out of Q-Tips and after that I need to take my helmets to the university radiation labs and get them isotope tested to make sure they are pre-war....

Cheerio. (Insert little waving smiley yellow man here - all in good fun of course)

?

The provenance may prove it belonged to this Commander Nunn not necessarily from the camp he wouldn't be the first Vet to collect postwar therein lays some extra value, who knows.. I found this neat photo on-line I think its from the camp the soldier looks cold and fed up.

Regards
    Eric
    What to make of this???   Stalag Luft III guard - Luftwaffe M42

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast