Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

What is that supposed to be?

Article about: Hello, This helmet showed up on ebay. The stamps look original, i would guess it was postwar changed, but what is that supposed to be? The seller claims this is a "extremy rare observer

Default What is that supposed to be?

Hello,
    This helmet showed up on ebay.
    The stamps look original, i would guess it was postwar changed, but what is that supposed to be? The seller claims this is a "extremy rare observer helmet".
    I dont believe there existed something like that... still, has someone an idea why someone would do this to a poor steelhelmet?

Regards,
    Adravor

What is that supposed to be? What is that supposed to be? What is that supposed to be? What is that supposed to be? What is that supposed to be?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What is that supposed to be?
    P
    Many

It looks something like the US Navy gun-tub talker's helmet, on which the enlarged flaps allowed the talker's headset to fit under the helmet. Maybe the Germans had the same thing for their flak guns. Dwight

Looks like a NATO helmet ...

For comparison, here is a WWII USN talker in a 20mm gun-tub. This helmet is admittedly considerably different from the one in question., but it's similar and illustrates why the ear flaps might have been flared on the (possibly) German helmet . Dwight

What is that supposed to be?

M38
    ?

There are pictures of these that are purported to be for Luftwaffe personnel on airplanes so they could wear earphones underneath. Not sure the credibility of these has ever been established. They have popped up as topics on forums from time to time.

Cheers,
    Terry

?

It looks like a flak helmet. The ear section spread out to accommodate a headset. I've seen where they spread apart a US M1 helmet for use with headsets in Bombers , but not German helmet done that way.
    Looks like a M40, But did the Germans do that??

Semper Fi
    Phil

Looks like M38 chimed in while I was typing.. Makes sense.