Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What is a transitional helmet???

Article about: Frank, on your first helmet the strap looks identical to a strap seen on a pair of German captured French-made goggles that I have on one of my helmets. Very interesting

Default What is a transitional helmet???

I have been reading around but am still quite confused, can someone please explain what a transitional helmet is before I buy one??

Thanks in advance,
    Caleb!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What is a transitional helmet???
    P
    Many

Default Re: What is a transitional helmet???

They are M16/17 M18 (WW1) helmets reworked with the later type liner system.

So they were used in ww1 and ww2?

Yes the shell would have been used in both wars, in WW1 with the early liner and in WW2 with the later liner.

True transitionals, or "trannys" are WWI helmets used during the early to late 1930s,-and they are double decals. The single decal WWI helmets used in war time are loosely referred to as transitionals, but aren't really so.

The name describes the 1930's transition to the M35 series of helmets. In the meantime they filled a gap until production reached a level to allow widespread issue of the M35. I've developed a fondness for the type in the last few months

I consider transitional helmets to be those manufactured or altered after WW1 and before 1939, with the exception of the M34, gladiators, and M35 (since their production continued during WWII). The word transitional makes me think of the period between the wars, so it encompasses those helmets from the interwar years.

I keep editing this posts.

The classification system of German helmets is poorly developed. I'm not sure if the Germans had their own classification system, but the term transitional is a collector's term and it is subjective to the individual collector in my opinion.

Here is one of my questions:

What would the 1920's manufactured helmets be classified as, if not transitional?

I would define the period of transitionals between 1933 and 1945. Before the Model 1935 they were the standard issue helmet in the German army.
    They were kept in use till the very end of the war , one sees mid war reissued M16-M18 helmets. (including Austrian shells)
    Double decal helmets are seen before 1940 and later on single decalled helmets with textured paint (just like M40's of the period).

Here are some examples from my collection.

?

If I am correct the transitional helmets never left German or Austria.
    No real combat use

Quote by Munich View Post
    If I am correct the transitional helmets never left German or Austria.
    No real combat use
    Completely incorrect , just look at pictures of the Blitzkrieg or Normandy even.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast