Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What's next?

Article about: by Schwerpunkt I have been adrift this year , as I have most configurations of most branches of the Wehrmacht and a couple of SD SS helmets. I've started looking at other things like Japanes

?

Default What's next?

I am always curious how helmet enthusiasts collect helmets. Do you go by a "want list", or just grab the "next best thing" to arrive? Either way, what's the next "keeper" helmet(s) your targeting/looking for?

For me the unicorn M40 DD SS EF with EF decals is what I would dearly love to find. Only one is known. He won't sell or trade it so I have to kill him. But it will look good on my jail cell wall with the calendar and pin up girls and letters from home. A black SS VT Austrian with SS VT decals and the correct late 20's strap and original liner, unit marked and named is the other helmet I am after. Same guy owns that one that owns the EF. So it will be doubly worth the life sentence. Seriously patience is a virtue and one day I hope to find one out of the woodwork as they would complete the collection. Otherwise I am in "next best thing" mode.

What's your next helmet you want?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What's next?
    P
    Many

Default Re: What's next?

I see you have expensive taste Doug! I've had to limit myself to a representative example of M35,M40,M42...Now I just need the M35, and I'll know it's "TheOne" when I rest my eyes upon it, lol...
    Cheers, Glenn

- - Updated - -

Hi Doug

Hope you don't mind that I replied, I'm not a helmet collector, but do enjoy seeing them and would like one. The fear of fakes has kept me running away for some time now.

What a conflict of interests! It'll be a funny kind of double murder because the "wall o helmets" would be of interest for me. Jusk kidding. For me, without a first helmet yet, it has to be "the first best thing", as long as it's a 1940 or 42 Heer. The helmet must be complete with full decal, liner, and chinstrap. This helmet and an SA dagger are in the crosshairs.

Green
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

I usually will check the helmet sites on a regular basis. Once I find a helmet that draws my interest, I will "favorite" the page and wait until I can afford the helmet. This rarely happens any more since prices on the big sites are reaching ridiculous highs, and most of the good helmets with low prices fly off the shelf in just a few days. Right now I have my eye on a single decal M40 Heer with full chickenwire, a helmet that I found online a few weeks ago. It is still up for grabs, and hopefully I will have the money soon. It would certainly be my next "keeper" helmet.

Corey

Good question Doug,

For me it's a little bit of both. I have a list which I am working through but if something tickles the fancy and the funds are there I will move. I would dearly love the next lid to me an M35 DAK or "Normandie" camo, nothing over the top as I like them nice and salty. I always have to much to buy and never have the money when something well priced comes up though.

Jason

I am looking for an FHH, but get side tracked whenever I see a nice helmet and therefore never seem to have the cash set aside when one turns up. I have to exercise some discipline. Jim G.

I also buy what I like, but I try to follow my list to get complete representation of WWII helmets with focus on German and Polish ones.

I do keep a list of wants in my head, and luckily I've been able to tick off a couple in short order recently with good example turning up. Next I think I will hunt out a keeper of a KM, my '35 KM is great but the decal isn't perfect. Either that or an early bird Luft, or a one look wire. I love the messy wired Army Dave has on the site at the moment but for 3.5k I'm struggling to justify it....

Or of course that slightly fragged '42 that is welded to your shelf Doug, that is welded to my want list also hint hint.

By the way Doug did you make that thread on the helmet you were teasing us with? The one where I guessed at M36 para...

What's this ,Doug, resorting to murder for helmets? Wow, that's taking it to a whole new level Sell that wall and you can hire one heck of an attorney.

Continuing, great topic, Doug! I have often wondered the same thing about how you decide what goes on the "Wall" next and how you find such awesome examples. I began with a plan for just one helmet. That helmet arrived and it bit me as soon as I took it out of the box. It was a deep bite as I have been a helmet junkie ever since. They are expensive, some ridculously expensive, but I just can't stop buying them. I even tried switching to collecting EK's, but I quickly fell off that wagon and the helmet wagon was following close behind. As for a list, I do not have one. Sometimes I pick up helmets that strike my fancy or those that are helmets of opportunity. such as the Bavarian Haube I picked up a few weeks ago. Wasn't looking for it but it showed up a short distance from me and I grabbed it and have added a spike to the collection. I really enjoy hunting for helmets in my local area. Doing the leg work and making the contacts is enjoyable and the feeling I get when I make a successful deal for a new addition is much more exciting than just writing a check or using a credit card and waiting for a box. That's exciting, too, but just not the same as walking away with a helmet that you "picked."

My only desire now is for a nice SS lid. This will most likely be a SD M42, maybe M40, just depends on the price. M35 DD tend to be way out of my price range. I will have to control my helmet collecting to save up for one. I desire one with an almost 100% decal, and complete liner and strap. I have become very picky with what I look for and not just grabbing everything that comes my way.

Quote by helmetone View Post
    I have become very picky with what I look for and not just grabbing everything that comes my way.
    I'm with you on that Todd, I've tried to change my attitude to fewer but much better quality. Makes for a much more satisfying collection. I think I've managed to turn it around this year, barely a speck of rust on my shelves now

I do enjoy a good relic though, with the right flavour.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast