Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Why do you collect WW2 German helmets?

Article about: because i like them

?

Default Re: Why do you collect WW2 German helmets?

because i like them

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Why do you collect WW2 German helmets?
    P
    Many

That's what I should have said instead of waffling on like a nob.

cant stop buying relic lidz got 14... none with good decals but they look good

It is just a feeling , i rememberred a war movie when i was 10 years with germans ww1 even with gas and attacing trenshes
    don t know why it sticked
    Even when i whas in a forrest i looked for dead germans and their helmets (age 10)
    I still don t know why it sticked but every helmet is a pice of art and the more you know the more you wanna know
    I am lucky to live in holland and its a grait trill to get one out of the woodwork
    I think its a feeling only collectors understand about collecting them

They are by far far one of the most iconic and sinister looking remnants of the Third Reich, instantly recognizable... I'd have one, if they weren't so ridiculously expensive, often faked, in bad condition and not just around every corner either...

Back during one of my periods of collecting, a friend of a friend (1st friend was a WWII vet who's now gone) offered me a paratrooper helmet in trade for a Luger or something, I can't remember. I got the helmet (he said "it's worth an easy $1000" and I was pretty dubious...") and soon took it to a gun show, and sold it probably immediately, can't remember exactly. Anyway, it went bye bye just about as fast as I got it.

For some reason even then, I never bothered with helmets usually so I've never had "the" German helmet. Fooled around with this and that, always seemed to get burned, or people trying to buy yr stuff would tell you it was no good. Decided to stick with guns, more fun and better investments.

They're all gone now too, the Lugers, Waffen proofed PPK's, etc...

Half the fun is looking...
    Last edited by Doppelgänger; 02-05-2013 at 06:04 PM.

?

Because its fun and beats making beaded wristbands.

Can't believe I have never seen this thread. My reasons closely mirror those of previous posts. Growing up in Maryland we are surrounded by the American Civil War and its battlefields, and relics from those years are readily available at most antique stores. I collected such for most of my youth, but on an amateur basis and as time and money permitted, which did not lead to a large collection. As I got older I met WWII veterans and heard their stories and one day the bug bit me. I thought about what item I would like to collect from WWII that really symbolizes the war, and the German helmet popped into my mind. It is easily recognizable and a true symbol of the Germany military machine from the military build-up to the final days in Berlin. So, I went out in search of a good book, found Ken N.'s, studied up and here I am, with a case full of helmets, hardly satisfied with the number and uality I have, and probably never will be. I hope to use my collection to inspire my neices and nephews, as well as my own children, to learn, study and appreciate history as I and many of us do. Besides, no one ever wants to see your stamp collection, but they always want to see your German helmet collection

Because I like them, and have always wanted one. I remember when they were available for US$20-30, and had I been gifted with foresight I would have bought a whole garage full.

Because I like to walk around in black latex wearing a German helmet and frightening the neighbours.

Although I wonder if the latex makes my thighs look big?

Doug says bigger is better, so....might not be a bad thing.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast