Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Winter camo?

Article about: I bought one of those painted-over helmets and decided to see what's underneath. The first layer was an orange/brown. When I removed that layer, I came across black paint. Then removed that

I wouldn't be removing the whitewash there Pablo, it look very similar to my relic winter camo lid so I would lean towards it being the real deal (unless better photos indicate otherwise of course)

Winter camo?Winter camo?Winter camo?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Winter camo?
    P
    Many

?

Don't know if these photos help much. I wonder why they would go through the trouble of removing the liner to coat the interior white?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Winter camo?   Winter camo?  

Winter camo?   Winter camo?  

Doesn't make sense to remove the liner...

?

@ Pablo, based on your new pics the helmet was whitewashed postwar as just a shell. You can see the white is inside the split pin holes and all around the outside of the split pin holes with no sign of split pins wearing the white down. Also if a liner were put back in, there would be some sign of a liner on the whitewash.

@AZPhil it's a water based whitewash all all whitewash typically is. I had an SS white camo that was painted white, also posted here, now in the hands of another collector in Belgium.
    Last edited by DougB; 01-22-2015 at 05:24 PM.

?

Thanks DougB. Good observation and makes sense. I'll continue with my project to see if I can get to the original paint.....if there is any.

?

Europeans washed battlefield finds back in the day you'd even see them in cemeteries country people did it, you can still run across them today folks sell them as wartime winter.
    Wartime the paint is issue same they used on tanks artillery etc running short they also used chalk paint. Today chalk paint is commercially different probably using gypsum.
    On the eastern front a soldiers most popular camo accessory was his helmet band, I had a file picture showing a soldier using paper, recently had another conversation with a German veteran I'd talked to before when asking about enamel he was nonplussed.

'Why? would it even dry in those harsh conditions no paint came in drums when the climate improved easily washed off with water or by then it'd be worn away. I never had one of those helmet covers other we just used mud/dirt. Early '45 we threw our helmets away but a soldier always hung on to his wool cap.'

Ok, maybe you more knowledgeable helmet collectors could explain to me why a soldier or company of would overpaint a finish that is easily removed to return to a finish it already has? I don't get it.

Kind Regards
    Eric

Hello,

Maybe distemper/lime wash was used because it was cheap and could be found just about everywhere.

Cheers

Sorry Pablo,

Meant to add good luck with the helmet and look forward to seeing its original paintwork.

?

Quote by Hoss View Post
    Europeans washed battlefield finds back in the day you'd even see them in cemeteries country people did it, you can still run across them today folks sell them as wartime winter.
    Wartime the paint is issue same they used on tanks artillery etc running short they also used chalk paint. Today chalk paint is commercially different probably using gypsum.
    On the eastern front a soldiers most popular camo accessory was his helmet band, I had a file picture showing a soldier using paper, recently had another conversation with a German veteran I'd talked to before when asking about enamel he was nonplussed.

'Why? would it even dry in those harsh conditions no paint came in drums when the climate improved easily washed off with water or by then it'd be worn away. I never had one of those helmet covers other we just used mud/dirt. Early '45 we threw our helmets away but a soldier always hung on to his wool cap.'

Ok, maybe you more knowledgeable helmet collectors could explain to me why a soldier or company of would overpaint a finish that is easily removed to return to a finish it already has? I don't get it.

Kind Regards
    Eric
    There is a lot of things you don't get Hoss.

You are the guy who offers endless counterproductive opinions on items you've never owned and inane rambling posts on God knows what.

Go troll elsewhere, like your Qtip forum.

Attachment 792932

Quote by DougB View Post
    ... You can see the white is inside the split pin holes and all around the outside of the split pin holes with no sign of split pins wearing the white down. Also if a liner were put back in, there would be some sign of a liner on the whitewash.
    Wow, great!
    With best wishes
    alter musketier
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast