Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Winter camo?

Article about: I bought one of those painted-over helmets and decided to see what's underneath. The first layer was an orange/brown. When I removed that layer, I came across black paint. Then removed that

?

Default Winter camo?

I bought one of those painted-over helmets and decided to see what's underneath. The first layer was an orange/brown. When I removed that layer, I came across black paint. Then removed that and found white. It looks like Luftwaffe gray underneath the white. So is the white paint winter camo? If not, I will proceed to remove and get to the original LW gray.
    Thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Winter camo?   Winter camo?  

Winter camo?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Winter camo?
    P
    Many

Hi Pablo, I could not say one way or the other from these images but I would leave it as it is now. It looks quite good, but if you want a more definite answer, good close ups will be needed and even then it may be impossible to be sure as the process of firstly over painting then removing the over paint will have damaged/altered the look of the possible winter cammo. Leon.

?

Hello Pablo
    orange/brown over black over white,,why? I doubt its winter combat I'd get rid of it lets see original finish underneath. imo

Regards
    Eric

I would leave it as is. From the description, the layers of paint that were removed sound like they were post war, but the white layer looks like white wash to me, and I would assume that white wash would be wartime applied. Just my opinion, Jim G.

?

The white stuff that's left is a chalky texture and is also in the interior. Would they have camoed the inside the helmet as well as the outside by dipping in whitewash?

Pablo, Can you post some shots of the interior and some clear pictures of the exterior as well? Thanks, Jim G.

?

I have an SS winter whitewash, that was whitewashed heavily inside the skirt and for whatever reason has some inside the dome. Defies logic but there it is.

I would post better pics as Jim suggested and wouldn't strip anymore layers off.

?

Quote by DougB View Post
    I have an SS winter whitewash, that was whitewashed heavily inside the skirt and for whatever reason has some inside the dome. Defies logic but there it is..
    That sounds very interesting and also something to keep in mind.
    Would a pic of yours be asking to much? possibly Inside and out .
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    That sounds very interesting and also something to keep in mind.
    Would a pic of yours be asking to much? possibly Inside and out .
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    Sure here you go Phil, this helmet is posted in detail here on some long forgotten thread. It is more of a winter remnant whitewash, most of the whitewash on the exterior is washed off and what remains is in the recesses of the paint.

You cant really see the whitewash under the liner, but its there. Why, who knows. They were goofing around, some whitewash spilled inside and someone just brushed it around rather than let it pool inside the dome, like I said who knows.

Attachment 792562

Attachment 792563

As I said to the OP, based on the pics uploaded so far, I suspect this white camo might be original (but more pics would be nice). It reminds me of my winter camo FJ helmet, if you have the Ludwig Baer book you might recognize it as it is published in the bible.
    Under the winter camo is tan, green and some brick red, its got quite the story I am sure if it could talk.

Attachment 792564

Attachment 792565

?

Thank you Doug and I hope this last question is not pushing it.
    Was the whitewash an oil or water base paint? I just have to ask because on the first helmet, it seems that the SS decal was not effected by the whitewash removal.
    Thanks for putting up with my trivial questions as I'm trying to educate myself.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast