Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Winter Camo Stahlhelme

Article about: Thought it would be a good idea to have a single thread to document all the Winter Camo versions of the German Stahlhelme that our members may have in their collection. Would ask that you in

MAP
    ?

Quote by KRISSE View Post
    Question... why is it that most of the wintercamo helmets are in such very bad condition?
    Didn't saw much very nice and good conditioned winter helmets yet...
    My thoughts on this is that after winter was over, whitewashed helmets were then scrubbed down or repainted. No one wants to run around in a white helmet in the spring. Kind of like a "here I am" target on your back. Thus that is why I think we see mostly relics..that is...helmets, unfortunately no longer needed by the original owner.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Winter Camo Stahlhelme
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

James/Paul,

Thanks for throwing your nice examples into the helmet pile!!
    Last edited by MAP; 10-26-2016 at 12:31 AM.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    My thoughts on this is that after winter was over, whitewashed helmets were then scrubbed down or repainted. No one wants to run around in a white helmet in the spring. Kind of like a "here I am" target on your back. Thus that is why I think we see mostly relics..that is...helmets, unfortunately no longer needed by the original owner.
    I agree. Most of the winter camos seen appear to be relics and these, in turn, seem to largely come out of Eastern Europe. Fighting went on continuously for over 4 winter seasons on the Eastern front/in Eastern Europe, whereas the western front saw significantly less than that. A vastly bigger campaign over a higher amount of winter seasons = substantially higher need for winter camo in the east vs. the west, which again would equal a lot of these camos being left behind on the battlefield=relics.

Of course, forces on occupational duties on the quieter western front also winter camo'd their helmets but naturally to a lesser degree and, as noted by MAP, they tended to have the camo removed again for spring. Also, as a general factor, I seem to have read a lot about camos not being as popular back in the day with collectors, probably leading to a lot of the more "mundane" one colour scheme camos having this paint removed to reveal the original paint and possibly decals underneath. SO I guess a lot of western front bringbacks shared this unfortunate fate.

In Norway I have sen collectors finding a lot of nice winter camos "out of the woodwork", so there's certainly other sources for non-relic winter camos but surely the eastern front relic winter camos vastly outnumber these. The one I sold to MAP here came out of Eastern Europe but not a relic.

All in all I guess it's a combination of all of these factors that make winter camos in non-relic condition that much harder to find.

Here is my M35 SE60. Lot number is hard to read but I believe it is 467.
    Love the decal poking through. Original liner and chinstrap are still there but a little crispy!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Winter Camo Stahlhelme   Winter Camo Stahlhelme  

Winter Camo Stahlhelme   Winter Camo Stahlhelme  

Winter Camo Stahlhelme  

I had the opportunity to buy this relic from a friend in Russia. It was ground dug from a bunker from the battlefield.

It is a size 64, difficult to see maker mark.

Winter Camo Stahlhelme

Winter Camo Stahlhelme

Ink stamped 8 battery

Winter Camo Stahlhelme

Winter Camo Stahlhelme

Winter Camo Stahlhelme

In my opinion, most original 'Winter' Camo's are relics - considering the number of German soldiers deployed on the Russian front and the few who returned, most helmets are rotting under ground.

Great thread.

Neil

Looks like a very nice Luftwaffe winter camo --- nice to see the decal peering through. Bet the stamp can reveal more--- FLAK RGT...

MAP
    ?

Nice examples guys!

Superb thread and helmets

?

hey guys - new possible pick-up - 'just dug out recently here in Hungary - M35 with green paint inside the dome and field repaint(?) with winter camo(?) - even some mud is still inside the dome. no cleaning, pins and liner ring un-touched - these are seller's pics, I don't have it yet...

any thoughts?

cheers,
    Fabe

Winter Camo StahlhelmeWinter Camo StahlhelmeWinter Camo StahlhelmeWinter Camo StahlhelmeWinter Camo StahlhelmeWinter Camo StahlhelmeWinter Camo Stahlhelme

MAP
    ?

Looks like it might have a coat of white wash based on these pictures. In hand will tell but I don't see anything wrong with it or being messed with.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast