Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Worth of WW2 German Helmet

Article about: Hi I am interested in knowing the value of a WW2 German helmet that's been in our family for generations. I am attaching photos of it as well as the following write up. My late uncle brought

zardoz
    ?

Default Worth of WW2 German Helmet

Hi

I am interested in knowing the value of a WW2 German helmet that's been in our family for generations. I am attaching photos of it as well as the following write up.

My late uncle brought this German helmet back from valiantly fighting in the Battle of the Bulge. He gave it to our
    family and we've had it ever since. I did some research and I know its from the German Air Force (Luftwaffe) . It sports on one side the second design of the "drooping" eagle with the swastika logo.

This is an original German helmet that is 100% original and unmessed with. The way it came to us is the way it remained for over 60 years. Considering the helmet saw conflict it is in pretty remarkable shape. As near as I can see it is not bent up.

Like I said, the one side of the helmet is the decal of an eagle ("drooping") and swastika logo. On the other, there is the remnant of some kind of paper marking that is long since gone.

I don't know alot about military items but I can say that there are two imprints on the inside rim of the helmet - 1574 and ET62.

While the leather liner is still intact and affixed, the chin strap is no longer with it both clips are still attached and the side that doesn't buckle still has a bit of leather fastener left to it.

Any thoughts on its value?

Thanks,

KC
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Worth of WW2 German Helmet   Worth of WW2 German Helmet  

Worth of WW2 German Helmet   Worth of WW2 German Helmet  

Worth of WW2 German Helmet   Worth of WW2 German Helmet  

2. # ADS

Default Re: Worth of WW2 German Helmet

Hi,

That's the M42, and I would say 500 - 700$.

Anyone?

Could that be blood there?

No doubt an original helmet. The exterior does seem to have a bit of a shine to it , was it varnished ?

The abscence of a chinstrap and the way the exterior looks (dark and light spots) kill the price a little. (also the condition of the liner)
    Perhaps better photos will help.

I think 700 - 750$ max if unvarnished.

Hello,

For : Nice eagle, untouched M42 SD helmet....

Against : small size, damaged liner, lack of chinstrap, well used paint...

tough to name a price for such a helmet.....around 400 euro would be my guess....thanks to the decal
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

?

400 is dealers price, even today I can buy the similar in condition helmet but completed with chinstrap. Yesterday I've bought one completed m 40 for 300 euro, but a bit fair in condition, but wirh a chinstrap...
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

yanks12025
    ?

Do you guys think that it was not such a happy ending for the person who was wearing the helmet.

Quote by Dimas View Post
    400 is dealers price, even today I can buy the similar in condition helmet but completed with chinstrap. Yesterday I've bought one completed m 40 for 300 euro, but a bit fair in condition, but wirh a chinstrap...
    Hello Dimas,
    Yes you're certainly right, it may appears as a dealer price, but this notion of price is very subjective, depends where you're from, who you know, who you buy from and who you sell to....
    M42 SD are not very common, far less common than M40 SD, and very nice M42 SD are quite expensive now.
    Personaly, i would never spend 400 euro for this helmet...but i'm not enough interested in Luftwaffe items i guess..., but if it was a M42 Heer SD in size 64, in the same condition, i could be interested as the decal would be still a nice one...
    german helmets are not cheap nowadays....but maybe you see too many of them each week...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :

Quote by yanks12025 View Post
    Do you guys think that it was not such a happy ending for the person who was wearing the helmet.
    Hello,
    Do you see blood stains on the liner ?
    Thanks

In Memoriam :

Quote by JPhilip View Post
    Hello Dimas,
    Yes you're certainly right, it may appears as a dealer price, but this notion of price is very subjective, depends where you're from, who you know, who you buy from and who you sell to....
    M42 SD are not very common, far less common than M40 SD, and very nice M42 SD are quite expensive now.
    Personaly, i would never spend 400 euro for this helmet...but i'm not enough interested in Luftwaffe items i guess..., but if it was a M42 Heer SD in size 64, in the same condition, i could be interested as the decal would be still a nice one...
    german helmets are not cheap nowadays....but maybe you see too many of them each week...
    Thanks
    My feelings as well.

Ty

Jan
    ?

Personally i think the shape of the stain strongy suggests blood or some other liquid that stayed in the helmet for many days. May have been faked easily though.. why not test it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast