Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Would like to locate family of a WW11 Vetran to return helmet found

Article about: We have come across an army helmet that has identifying stamps and scratched in name under the brim. We would like to find the family descendants of this WW11 Vetran and pass the helmet onto

Kola
    ?

Default Would like to locate family of a WW11 Vetran to return helmet found

We have come across an army helmet that has identifying stamps and scratched in name under the brim.
    We would like to find the family descendants of this WW11 Vetran and pass the helmet onto them.
    Other than that - we are not collectors.
    Anyone have any idea of how to go about thiis?
    The helmet is stamped G.S.W. G MK1 1941 and the name is scratched on as well: Tom Holingshead (below this is E-12146).. along with T.H.
    Any help or suggestions would be gr3eatly appreciated!!
    Thanks so much!!

2. # ADS

?

Welcome to the Forum.

Assuming that the person was British, you may be able to do this through Ancestry.co.uk, by searching the birth and marriage records. If you can find the right person and they got married had children, from there you could use 192 (or similar) to find a current address. It seems that the helmet is a Canadian one, suggesting that Mr Holingshead could have been a Canadian although no one of that name comes up on the Canadian version of ancestry.

I should add that if you were successful you should be prepared to not get the positive response that you might expect. Inevitably families can have difficult histories and may not want the past 'raked over'.

Regards, Philip

?

However... Some may cherish the history and perhaps have photos of the soldier.. It works both ways..
    Good luck in your endeavor... G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I have checked on Ancestry UK where I am a member.

There are no records of any man of this name to be found.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

A picture of the helmet might help determine if it was issued to the army, airforce, home front etc.