Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WW2 decals application?

Article about: Doug has experience of applying original Pocher SS decals. It was by accident, and not to a helmet though. He now has the most expensive paperweight in the world

?

Default WW2 decals application?

I have seen some real WW2 decals for sale. Expensive.
    Anyone know how to apply them? Any tips to optimise application?
    I assume after all these years this will be very dicey!
    I figure they are not simple water-slide decals (like model kits)
    Pauil

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 decals application?
    P
    Many

Default Re: WW2 decals application?

thats a really good question paul im sorry i cant help you ,ill watch this thread if you dont mind
    Regards James

Quote by paul w View Post
    I have seen some real WW2 decals for sale. Expensive.
    Anyone know how to apply them? Any tips to optimise application?
    I assume after all these years this will be very dicey!
    I figure they are not simple water-slide decals (like model kits)
    Pauil
    Hello Paul, I am not trying to be a killjoy but I would not advise attempting this for two reasons. The first is that an original decal no longer applies to steel anymore as it's original "glue" element has decayed to badly.Also you will be wrecking a very nice and valuable un-used decal(£100+!!)depending on type.Secondly,your end product will be a messed with original helmet with a messed with decal,no history there!! All the best with what ever you decide but seriously think about it . Leon.
    Last edited by FALLSCHIRMJAGER; 05-27-2013 at 08:34 PM.

It would be a lot better and make for a much nicer presentation of ORIGINAL/untouched ww2 equipment if you displayed a nice no-decal helmet side by side with an unused decal. I have to admite that I, seemingly along with the others posting above, see no reason to apply original period decals to an original no-decal helmet. However, if this is about reenacting I'd rather put something together with nice repro decals or even get a complete repro online... my two cents for what they are worth.

This is very obviously a terrible idea.

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    This is very obviously a terrible idea.
    In essence, see above

Already commented on this in the other thread asking the same thing!!!

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/techn...decals-306296/
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

The rights and wrongs can be discussed......but I have seen it done, very successfully I might add, despite my reservations and ignored advice...yes, I know dreadful, but true....a layer of varnish was applied...when it became tacky the decal was applied, heavy pressure was then applied...the backing paper was removed with copious amounts of water...then when dried, another coat of varnish. I watched the guy do it, much to my horror....but hey! it was his decal and helmet...and no, I do not have any photos of it...it is still owned by the guy that did it. PLEASE NOTE, I DO NOT ADVOCATE DOING THIS AND STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST SUCH PRACTICE.......
    Prost ! Steve.

Quote by oradour View Post
    The rights and wrongs can be discussed......but I have seen it done, very successfully I might add, despite my reservations and ignored advice...yes, I know dreadful, but true....a layer of varnish was applied...when it became tacky the decal was applied, heavy pressure was then applied...the backing paper was removed with copious amounts of water...then when dried, another coat of varnish. I watched the guy do it, much to my horror....but hey! it was his decal and helmet...and no, I do not have any photos of it...it is still owned by the guy that did it. PLEASE NOTE, I DO NOT ADVOCATE DOING THIS AND STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST SUCH PRACTICE.......
    Prost ! Steve.
    I must admit that in the past I have seriously thought about doing this myself!! I had worked out how to get an original decal to apply to a steel when the original "glue" was no use ,but even though I appreciate your detailed "how to do" on this one,i do not feel that it is a great idea to tell the"let's mock up a helmet" crew how to do it! Let them wreck their own expensive decals(however sad it is to ruin a piece of history)trying to achive what they are after. I just hope I do not end up buying one of their efforts in 10 years time!! Leon.

I just wouldn't do it. This baffles me. Place an unused original decal on a period painted helmet and in a number of years it becomes an "original" single decal helmet and sells as such, maybe fooling someone on purpose or by accident. I'd advise against it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast