Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

WW2 German cammo pattern barn find...real deal?

Article about: Hi folks...I was hoping for some input on this helmet I picked up yesterday. I collect mainly US helmets but I do have a Luft and Heer helmet...so I d like to think I know the difference in

This debate may be needed on a new thread. Everyone take a DEEP breath and count to 10.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 German cammo pattern barn find...real deal?
    P
    Many

im going against the tide here and who am i to comment but although a cracking lid and dont doubt its originality i have real doubts about the green colouration being period applied ,going from these pictures the red flag to my eyes is the front right corrosion spot which clearly shows overspray ,surely this area if rusty would be paint free after the paint flaking ,the rest of the helmet shows textbook wear and tear for its age

?

William I fail to see how I personally attacked you, nor clearly was there any intent there on my part to do so. If you took it that way then I am sorry, but I dont pull punches on forums either.

And I am sorry but it is ridiculous, silly and nonsensical -- in my opinion --. stance you make that does not make sense when it is clear as day that spray helmets like this do exist, countless period photos exist of them and there is iron clad provenance to back it up. Photo and physical evidence of the spray gun you assume they would have used is simply not required.

In any case, your attempt to personalize the discussion is bullish!t and is a discussion tactic used when those who cannot back their statements up fall back on.

In any case I will leave this thread to others, hope you have a better day!

?

Quote by James C View Post
    im going against the tide here and who am i to comment but although a cracking lid and dont doubt its originality i have real doubts about the green colouration being period applied ,going from these pictures the red flag to my eyes is the front right corrosion spot which clearly shows overspray ,surely this area if rusty would be paint free after the paint flaking ,the rest of the helmet shows textbook wear and tear for its age
    Can you circle or point out where you mean, because I don't see anything of the sort.

To those who say the green is added postwar, please explain the matching patination and wear to the rest of the helmet.

Doug, if you truly see nothing personal or insulting in your post #37, then there is little point in trying to explain it to you. Your further response to this in your last post #43 directed to Me is even more so, but if that's what you believe then enjoy, I guess. I'm not going to exchange pointless and childish insults. I asked a simple question and this is the response that ensued. I will, however, follow your lead and leave this thread to others.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Well this one opened a can of worms! in my first post i should have said it looks like an aerosol type finish due to the very fine overspray.
    Doug i bow to your knowledge and your opinion on this lid as i hear you own one or two German helmets in all honesty though if i saw this lid for sale i'd leave it sat where it was but that's just me!..

Doug, whether you like it or not, I see what I see on that helmet, and I do not like the look of those patches of green. This is a forum, and as such - unless rules are changed, I am allowed to voice my opinion. I do not do so in a rude or aggressive manner either. Why don't you just accept that there are some of us who have doubts over the helmet? I couldn't give a toss what anyone thinks of my own opinion. I don't claim to be correct over what I say either, I only state what I see. My judgement has served me well over the years. And although I may have made the odd unwise purchase on occasions, I have never been stung to the tune of thousands of pounds, purchasing fake crap either. You, as a lifetime member, should set an example to others on the forum. There is no need to indulge in petty squabbles just because other members have a different opinion to yours...

Regards,
    Steve.

Well, this sure got out of hand quickly... all I'm seeing is one member asking for period proof of spray camos --- the replies are somewhat dumbfounded by the request, imo understandably so, but I don't see anyone going personal or starting arguments for the sake of it anywhere... Then there's an issue pointed out, a member asks for clarification of what exactly the issue is, something that I was wondering about myself and now we're getting into the who "offended" who first game... sorry, but this is ridiculous.

?

OMFG. Of course others are entitled to their opinion Harry. I respect educated opinions of course.

I am merely asking how the green was postwar applied when patination and wear of said green matches the patination and wear of the brick red and tan, all correct and classic colors? I don't see overspray that looks unnaturally applied and am asking for those to point it out, as I can't see it.

Is that not allowed?

William wants physical and photographic evidence of spray guns that could paint this. I am stating that's silly and ridiculous which is now apparently a personal attack.

NO personal attack was made or intended. If you can't accept that William then there's nothing more I can say.

Harry, I'll leave this as saying you've had an axe to grind with me since the day I joined the forum, so when you decide to take a run at me it's quite meaningless as it happens all too often from you.

Anyway, enjoy the day everyone, another thread blown up on a ($175!!!!) helmet when opinions / guesswork are challenged with reason. Ridiculous.

WW2 German cammo pattern barn find...real deal?

I just want to say thanks to all who commented, good and bad...the only comment I want to respond to is # 42 referring to a rust spot with overspray...that's just a crappy photo. There is nothing in that spot but dark, fairly heavy rust. As far as the green being touched up....duly noted. The first thing I did when I picked up the helmet was smell it...for a long time...the guy looked at me like I was nuts...no paint smell ...but that doesn't mean it wasn't touched up 40 years ago either. I normally do not buy German stuff anymore because so many things are tampered with over the years. This one however and myself just happened to cross paths at a completely random time and place...im going to chalk it up as the real deal followed by an asterisk...fair enough? As for as the helmet...I think ill display her for a while..it looks pretty good in some of the mix.

Mike
    Last edited by Jammanna; 04-02-2015 at 12:37 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast