Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWI or WWII Medic?

Article about: I've had two different guys tell me two different ideas on this helmet. One told me it was WWI medic helmet and another told me it was an Afrika Corps helmet used transitionally. I tend to l

?

Default WWI or WWII Medic?

I've had two different guys tell me two different ideas on this helmet. One told me it was WWI medic helmet and another told me it was an Afrika Corps helmet used transitionally. I tend to lean toward WWI but, I thought I'd seek out a few others who may be in the know on these.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI or WWII Medic?   WWI or WWII Medic?  

WWI or WWII Medic?   WWI or WWII Medic?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WWI or WWII Medic?
    P
    Many

Default Re: WWI or WWII Medic?

Interesting piece. If memory serves me correctly, I believe this a M1916. I seem to recall that the differences in the M16 and M17 were the shape of the lugs, and also the difference in a leather or metal liner band. I have read that the M17 variants were the ones most commonly found as transitional helmets.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

There is no way this is a WW2 helmet. I would like to see better pictures. The red rust would lead me to believe that this helmet has been artificially aged.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    There is no way this is a WW2 helmet. I would like to see better pictures. The red rust would lead me to believe that this helmet has been artificially aged.
    Thanks Bob, I'll get more shots up here in the next day or so with some more clarity for you. Brian Bell was one of the men who examined this and was pretty confident it was WWI. The other collector is a friend of mine who is very well versed in Imperial and TR lids but, I honestly don't agree with him on this one but, do respect his thoughts enough to ask here on the forum for a few more opinions. I can assure you, it has not been artificially aged or faked but, I'd agree the pictures I took don't show well.

?

Looks like it has rounded lugs indicating a Bell L model helmet. Needs better pics, medics are heavily faked.

Hi,
    i would say M16, German going by the chin strap hangers, and in a small size as the lugs are extended. I dont think the paint work is original ?, my view is that it was a captured helmet, the reason i say this is W.W.1 captures were spiked in the top with a pick axe ect, this made them unservicable. and looking at the damaged top i would say this is the case with this helmet. I have seen many of the helmets with a centre top hole like this.
    Dave.

?

I believe I see black rust with the red rust on this helmet. I believe that it was painted lead and linseed oil white and has yellowed with age. The oil will yellow over time under various conditions. It is obvious that the red is a cadmium red and has faded the way that cad red does with many years of heat and light. The hole in the top? if there is no metal curling back on the inside it is not one of the WWI helmets intentionally damaged with a pick. The edges appear to be to sharp to be curled backwards.
    While I have seen helmets chemically aged to the point that it is exteremly difficult to tell from a picture, knowing Scott and his unblemished reputation for fairness and honesty, It is my guess that the helmet is a late war reissue WWII stretcher bearers helpers helmet.
    Just my opinion.
    Steve

?

Here's some close-up shots as requested. I hope these photo's will put concerns about this being a fake to bed. I have worked for quite some time developing and finding methods of exposing fakes, this helmet passes all those tests. However, I made the mistake earlier of dropping the wrong name here. With U.S. helmets the same is true about perceptions concerning Chris Armold. Ignorance being what it is, I'll just let this helmet speak for itself.

By the way, thanks for your comments Steve!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI or WWII Medic?   WWI or WWII Medic?  

Why would they paint the entire inside white as well ?

?

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Why would they paint the entire inside white as well ?
    I don't know, I wasn't there when it was painted. The word: re-issue comes to mind.

It's hard to see in the pictures but, you can see marks where the liner was put in after it was painted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast