Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWII German Afrika Corps DAK Desert Camo Helmet Real???

Article about: Hello Today I was at a show and I saw a WWII German Afrika Corps desert camo helmet. The seller was asking \\$350 for it and I was interested in purchasing it, but I was a little skeptical abo

?

Default WWII German Afrika Corps DAK Desert Camo Helmet Real???

Hello
    Today I was at a show and I saw a WWII German Afrika Corps desert camo helmet. The seller was asking $350 for it and I was interested in purchasing it, but I was a little skeptical about its authenticity. Is there any sure fire way to tell if it is authentic or not? I noticed the camo paint was smooth and the helmet still retained a lot of the paint. The national decal was still present. The liner looked okay, but I just do not know. Does the liner have to be a certian color? I would really appreciate any help, because I am just a beginner and I really could use some help from more experinced collectors.
    Thank-You

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WWII German Afrika Corps DAK Desert Camo Helmet Real???
    P
    Many

Default Re: WWII German Afrika Corps DAK Desert Camo Helmet Real???

Without pictures any comments would be worthless. Sorry. Jim G.

As Jim said, without pictures, it's going to be hard for us to say.

Here are a few tips that may help...

SMELL! Stick your nose inside the helmet. Does it smell like grandma's attic, or does it smell like fresh paint? A fresh paint smell is bad... very bad. A helmet from the ~1940s shouldn't have a fresh from the factory smell to it.

Check out the aging and wear onthe helmet in comparison to the age and wear and tear on the liner and decals... they should go along. Look for wear along the edge of the liner where it attached to the liner band. Liners that have lots of holes where your forehead would go are post war. The color of the liner leather can vary... especially if the liner had ever been treated, or if it was exposed to blood. In terms of decals, often times the fakers do not battle damage or age decals on their helmets. It's like they're too proud of their work... If the entire helmet is heavily aged and worn, why shouldn't the decals worn too?

I know it's not much, but just a few words of advice. GOOD LUCK!

It is really hard to help you with out any pictures.
    But camo helmets go for more than 350$ sometime a good deal is no deal at all.
    chris

?

A true DAK has a pinkish tone to the paint as well. But without photos we are the blind leading the blind I am afraid.

?

As Doug say's, a DAK helmet has a pinkish tone to the paint.
    Here are some photos of my M35 DD LW in DAK camo.

WWII German Afrika Corps DAK Desert Camo Helmet Real???WWII German Afrika Corps DAK Desert Camo Helmet Real???WWII German Afrika Corps DAK Desert Camo Helmet Real???WWII German Afrika Corps DAK Desert Camo Helmet Real???

A similar one like Anders has shown , also a double decal Luft albeit more worn and yelllowish.

?

Nice helmets guys. Anders nice to see you here. I have met more Swedes this weekend than at SOS from my son, a bunch of Swedish exchange students were over from Stockholm and Uppsala last night who my son met when he was studying over in Uppsala. And he can talk perfect Swedish now so you cant swear at me or call my helmets ugly in Swedish anymore...

Quote by Anders View Post
    As Doug say's, a DAK helmet has a pinkish tone to the paint.
    Here are some photos of my M35 DD LW in DAK camo.

WWII German Afrika Corps DAK Desert Camo Helmet Real???WWII German Afrika Corps DAK Desert Camo Helmet Real???WWII German Afrika Corps DAK Desert Camo Helmet Real???WWII German Afrika Corps DAK Desert Camo Helmet Real???
    Hi, No offence But why do you think the paint has reacted to the Decal? I'm new to this and i am trying to learm , to me that would say somethings NQR

Phill

?

Its pretty common actually for paint to craze and crack overtop decals, its due to the drying and thickness of the paint over the decal, in Anders helmet it appears the decal might have shrunk a bit over time perhaps causing that. Here are a couple examples where the paint didnt adhere properly and crazing over a LW decal.

Attachment 255276

Attachment 255277

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast