Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Any idea what this sword/sidearm is/// PLEASE

Article about: Hi All, Some years back, on a whim, I purchased the item detailed below and although it is relatively well constructed, I none-the-less, considered it as "junk". However, when I se

Default Any idea what this sword/sidearm is/// PLEASE

Hi All, Some years back, on a whim, I purchased the item detailed below and although it is relatively well constructed, I none-the-less, considered it as "junk". However, when I set up the sword display, I decided to re evaluate it and I am a little less sceptical as to its originality as I was and that perhaps it could be an official uniform item.

Now, before Larry and the Feds jump all over me, I went through the Forums list twice but could find no Forum which would cover a blade of South American origin so if I have missed something, sorry!! My logic in placing it here is that there is a wealth of edged weapon knowledge on this particular Forum so hopefully a German weapons collector is more than likely to have some collateral knowledge than most??

Perhaps there may be some merit in extending this Forum to encompass "Unknown and Other Swords" as well as German and Austrian??? Worth a thought Larry??

Back to the sword. Overall, in scabbard it measures 23 1/4 inches (59cm). The blade is un fullered, with plain obverse other than manufacturer's logo which appears to read "JO?RA" over a shield and the reverse is etched "General Jose de San Martin". There are no other marks. The General which the sword commemorates was, it would appear, Argentinian and first President of Peru dieing in 1850. My only thoughts are that it may be a Dress or Mess Dress accoutrement or possibly a cadet or minor presentation item. Or even just a piece of tourist junk? I am inclined to doubt the latter as the quality is a bit too high?

Your opinions on this item would be greatly appreciated please.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Any idea what this sword/sidearm is/// PLEASE
    P
    Many

?

Spain Marine ?

Hi Colt, Now, that has thrown a spanner into the works!! May I ask why Spain?? From my limited research of the General, he seems to have spent a lot of his time fighting the Spanish so I would be surprised if they used his name on modern inscriptions but I accept that we Brits still have insignia relative to old and ex enemies?? Well worth a thought. Thank you.
    Cheers Michael

Hello Michael, I have no specific information on this sword, with my own overall approach being to first try and fix or get an appproximation of when an item was made. Seeing what I'm perceiving to be a nickel plated blade, in hand I would next try to figure out if it was (relatively) new or old school plating, which usually takes a really close look at the small details. Best Regards, Fred

i dont know who General Martín is, and the spanish inscription make the logic fly to spain.. but beware, as most of America speaks spanish, from Mexico till down to panama, Boliva, Peru, Argentina and so on.. so it could also have Latinamerican origins, not forcefully spain. Some bayonets and stuff where made by TOLDEDO manufacturers, but exported.. if there are any other small markings, they might be helpful..

MAP
    ?

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Michael, From the images looking to me like a later manufacture sword, and armed with my very bad Spanish language knowledge I took a quick look to see what I could see. With my best guess at the moment an Argentinian military school by that name, that has a ceremonial aspect as part of its normal operation. Best Regards, Fred

Could be a Falklands War pick up if found in the UK ?

That works for me. With that being the school I made reference to which is still in operation. Best Regards, Fred

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast