Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Bavarian Officers Sword

Article about: New addition a Bavarian Officers sword with folding basket with bakelite grip and etched blade and spine. The etched blade is engraved on one side with "6 Ehen Rgt Prinze Albrecht v Pre

?

Default Bavarian Officers Sword

New addition a Bavarian Officers sword with folding basket with bakelite grip and etched blade and spine. The etched blade is engraved on one side with "6 Ehen Rgt Prinze Albrecht v Preussen" on the reverse side the Bavarian motto"In Treue Fest". No maker blade has its buffer and the sword has a nice Bavarian officer portepee. The scabbard is dent free and has approx. 90% of it black.
    HorstBavarian Officers SwordBavarian Officers Sword
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bavarian Officers Sword  
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bavarian Officers Sword
    P
    Many

Horst, My compliments for a very nice sword I've seen certain U.S. dealers who've gone on and on in catalogs etc. describing these type swords as Officer's swords, and sometimes having prices to match the descriptions. So I can easily understand how collectors get confused when they think of the dealers as experts in everything because they are in the militaria business. With the problem from my perspective being that period sources identify them as "Extrasäbel" which means that they were private purchases meant for carrying off duty by enlisted men in the appropriate dress uniform. Oftentimes to presumably commemorate their relatively short service times for those who were fulfilling their obligations as non-career soldiers, the unit they trained with is etched on the blade. That said, Bavarian cavalry officers (and other service branches) could purchase a variety of swords including a lion head version of the KD 89 for cavalry officers. Best Regards, Fred
    Last edited by Frogprince; 04-26-2017 at 09:24 PM. Reason: typo correction

?

Fred, thanks for your insight - your comments relative to NCO,s wearing these swords is right on, this also holds true during the III Reich = I know this first hand as my father in law was a Sgt Major in the heer and had a beautiful lionhead sword.
    The portepee/knot reflected the upgrade to officer rank in most cases. The Imperial portepees are getting harder to find. As a side note I have posted a Bavarian officers portepee/knot for sale on the Imperial classified.
    This sword came with the Bavarian officer spiked helmet , vet brought both home.
    Horst
    Last edited by Horst; 04-27-2017 at 06:06 PM.

Quote by Horst View Post
    Fred, thanks for your insight - your comments relative to NCO,s wearing these swords is right on, this also holds true during the III Reich = I know this first hand as my father in law was a Sgt Major in the heer and had a beautiful lionhead sword.
    The portepee/knot reflected the upgrade to officer rank in most cases. The Imperial portepees are getting harder to find. As a side note I have posted a Bavarian officers portepee/knot for sale on the Imperial classified.
    This sword came with the Bavarian officer spiked helmet , vet brought both home.
    Horst
    Horst, Having spent some time with the postwar German Army (as an American) I can readily relate to the fact that especially their senior grade NCO's were treated differently than ours. And that the Unteroffiziere mit Portepee were not only treated with more respect like commissioned Officers, they were also prime candidates for being commissioned especially during wartime. If I get some time later in the Spring or Summer I will try to do a photo shoot (my skills in this area are limited) of a government model saber for Cavalry Officer’s, but in the interim here are two Imperial era examples of the Infantry Officer Degen that was manufactured for specifically Prussian Infantry senior grade NCO's. The brass one prewar, and the blued steel example a Kriegsmodell. Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bavarian Officers Sword  

?

Thanks Fred - I also did a little more research and noted that its a Cavalry Degen model 1889 , the inscription reads " 6th Chevauleger Regiment Prinz Albrecht v Preussen" - The sword knot indicated NCO or Officer , so it was worn by all ranks more or less.
    Horst

?

Lovely sword Horst, i have owned a Pruisian one myself, lovely and impressive swords.
    The bakelite grip indeed is special.

Congratz on this lovely addition to your collection.

Regards
    Ger

Thx Fred for the nice explanation

?

Great Looking. Nice!
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com