Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Damascus presentation sword

Article about: I just couldn't resist to get this beauty. It's a French 1889 model I guess and it is a one of the nicest swords I have ever owned. I will be glad If someone here know more about this model.

?

The one has Napoleon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Damascus presentation sword  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Damascus presentation sword
    P
    Many

Impressive Sword Ivan...looks to be a heavy weight...by the looks of the whole ensemble. Im sure Mr Ryan would appreciate this beauty also. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Translate it into French, and a complete world opens
    search google:
    épée de cavalerie mle1822
    Armes_Blanches

Lots of them.....
    Cheers,
    Ger

With my thanks to Ger for posting the link, as he says when you look at a more complete picture it opens all sorts all sorts of possibilities when looking at the swords that were used at different times. Also agreeing with Ivan that his sword I think could have possibly been made in Germany as many others for different counties were manufactured by them prior to WW I. With the Germans not only making foreign models for export for a very long time, but also doing some experimentation on their own with domestic copies of foreign swords - which was in addition to adopting and using some captured swords from both the Napoleonic and Franco-Prussian wars. Best Regards, Fred

?

My 2 cents:
    Fred this sword for sure would not have been made in Germany.
    The dedication which is part of the blade dedicates it to one of the 2 years campaigns of the great war ( campagne 1914-1916)
    There were quite a few of 2 years campaigns on the western front, most famous would likely be the battle of Verdun.
    I have been wandering through the woods of the Verdun battlefield many times and found numerous relics!
    This sword will be made in France and presented in 1917, as it was in the middle of the biggest war the world has ever known.
    History of the 105e art. could reveal when its commander left.
    So far i only found the history of the 3th regiment of the 105e artillery, its all written in France so it takes some time for me to translate, as my French is not as good as my English or my German, but im not done yet

Ger

Thank you guys
    Ger,i really appreciate your help with the history, my French understanding is about zero.

Thanks

Ger, Thank you for your insight and I’m looking forward to the results of the study of the unit history. My own French is even more significantly limited than my German, with I think the purchase and presentation of the sword by the NCO’s (?) of an Artillery unit. Which if they had purchased a higher grade Damascus bladed sword new could have had the blade simply etched with the presentation instead of a post manufacture engraving. Thinking along the line of using a preexisting blade that had originally come from Germany when they were at peace. With my question being that I have an idea of when and where swords were discontinued in Germany (1916). But how did the economics situation - raw materials/resources at that time affect France? With the Battle of Verdun for example more or less at the end of 1916 in a draw (no clear victor) and millions of casualties. With early 1917 still going downhill, Russia in turmoil, a mid year limited French soldiers “strike” April to June etc. before things really began to get better.

PS: Not that this aspect of the discussion IMO has any real impact on the sword which is an exceptional and very interesting sword. Best Regards, Fred

?

Im getting closer Ivan
    Found de history of the 3th group yesterday and today the 5th group.
    Sooner or later the upper command of the 105th Regiment will be named.
    They have fought on one of the toughest battlefields of the Western front.
    They fought in the Somme area at the Chemin des Dames.
    I have visisted the woods of Chemin des Dames, and found a complete 105mm Schneider artillery canon on a path uphill, some 10cm below the surface, my detector gone wild a few minutes later me too!

Nice to read the history, it takes me back to trips i did to the dozens of fields of honour in the past.

After more research im getting closer: there was also an Escadron ( Cavalry unit) named after him and could explain his Cavalry sword:
    corps le cher d'escadron Graveteau, de l'artillerie.

Regards,
    Ger

Great job Ger
    Did you found any ww2 German stuff ?

Thanks again
    Last edited by stingray; 05-15-2015 at 05:38 PM.

?

coming closer
    GRAVETEAU (Edouard-Rémond), chef d'escadron d'artillerie. attribution de la croix de commandeur

the search goes on...

Ger

what do you mean with German Staff?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast