Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Engraved U-boat 47, Gunther Prien's naval sword and dress dagger....

Article about: I did an image enhancement of the sword in the glass case. I don’t want to alarm anyone. But what I seem to be seeing are the typical markings for a German Navy government property senior gr

?

Default Engraved U-boat 47, Gunther Prien's naval sword and dress dagger....

I was able to get a glimpse of a friends collection today ... with-in this amazing collection was the Engraved U-boat 47, Gunther Prien's naval sword and dress dagger.... they were behind glass so I didnt get to touch them or look at them close up... but next week I will have access to these items and I will post better pics for everyone to enjoy.. would any experts like to guess on the value? I personally have no idea.. but I would like to hear opinions.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Engraved U-boat 47, Gunther Prien's naval sword and dress dagger....  
    Attached Images Attached Images Engraved U-boat 47, Gunther Prien's naval sword and dress dagger.... 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Engraved U-boat 47, Gunther Prien's naval sword and dress dagger....
    P
    Many

Default Re: Engraved U-boat 47, Gunther Prien's naval sword and dress dagger....

I would want some rock solid provenance for something like this.

Cheers, Ade.

Default Gunther Prien's Dagger

I would say that if it can be proved real it would be worth an considerable fortune,I doubt he had it when his U Boat was sunk so it makes sense that his family would have possession.He had Young daughter she would be in her early seventy's maybe this was part of her estate.anyway I am attaching scans of the Commander hope you enjoy.

Default Re: Gunther Prien's Dagger

Engraved U-boat 47, Gunther Prien's naval sword and dress dagger....Sorry forgot to attach.

?

Default Re: Engraved U-boat 47, Gunther Prien's naval sword and dress dagger....

I will get my hands on it monday.. After the war his family moved to Canada.. and this was obtained back in the early 80's..
    Question .. was it normal that the sword and dagger would be engraved with the name and other info of the high ranking officer?

Adding names or initials to daggers/swords was an accepted practise. People did not want to loose the items which they had to personally buy. But beyond that, unit info etc would be unusual.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Adding names or initials to daggers/swords was an accepted practise. People did not want to loose the items which they had to personally buy. But beyond that, unit info etc would be unusual.

Cheers, Ade.
    Ade,

I might be wrong but if I see unit information, its generally Kriegsmarine and they are notorious for that and always have been. Would have to see this but not sure it would be all that unusual.

Best,

Kris

Where, when and how did Prien go down?

you can find that kind of informations on uboat.net

?

Thank you everyone .. I'm looking forward to posting more pics and getting a good look at both of these pieces .. I have a chance to buy.. They are not for sale but for the correct money they are.. And the number will be outrageous .. But as Ade said .. I need some proof and to have them examined.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast