Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German naval sword, need some advise

Article about: Hello, I was told to put this sword on this forum because the expertise is here. I collect badges for some years know but swords i do not have a clue. I have a German naval sword but the num

Default German naval sword, need some advise

Hello, I was told to put this sword on this forum because the expertise is here. I collect badges for some years know but swords i do not have a clue.

I have a German naval sword but the numbers are not matching but close O 822 and the scabberd O 835, and on the tip of the scabbard is also a marking...? Horster made this sword.

What do you think about this sword..ww1 ww2 before after ?

Thanks in advance!
    NielsGerman naval sword, need some adviseGerman naval sword, need some adviseGerman naval sword, need some adviseGerman naval sword, need some advise
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German naval sword, need some advise   German naval sword, need some advise  

German naval sword, need some advise   German naval sword, need some advise  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German naval sword, need some advise
    P
    Many

The "O" marking means Ostsee or Baltic.

The "Eagle/M" marking is a Naval property stamp.

I think it might be from the Weimar Republic period -it doesn't look Imperial to me and there is no swastika.

Hopefully other opinions will be given.

On another forum well over 10 years ago a similarly marked batch of swords turned up that were determined to be postwar. Then some of the same swords turned up etched, and even with etched/blued/gilt blades. The one here appears to have a poorly etched TM and the 'Naval Acceptance' mark on the "funky" side, with some other signs that I find in the "interesting" category (not in a good way). The bottom line being that for myself I would keep on looking. Best Regards, Fred

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    On another forum well over 10 years ago a similarly marked batch of swords turned up that were determined to be postwar. Then some of the same swords turned up etched, and even with etched/blued/gilt blades. The one here appears to have a poorly etched TM and the 'Naval Acceptance' mark on the "funky" side, with some other signs that I find in the "interesting" category (not in a good way). The bottom line being that for myself I would keep on looking. Best Regards, Fred
    Hello , Thanks for your answer. I take a look at the etching but it seems to me of high quality (deeply etched). I do not think it is post war the quality is to high for it. Regards niels

?

Hi Drullo33,

Welcome to the WRF. Glad you are here and posted the sword. Nice job on the pictures and giving the folks here something to work with. Have you bought it already or are these the sellers pictures? I tend to agree and concur with Fred's assessment. I would want to see this one in hands. Can you post close ups of the Lion's Face on pommel head?

If it were my money I would be skeptical on this one. Overall Construction, maker mark and look via the pictures has me leaning post war as well. Keep in mind etching a blade is not that hard to do deep and with good quality. Many post war blades have been etched post WWII. I would absolutely do more digging, wait for other blade guys to show up and weigh in too. This is one I have not personally gone after in my 30 years so I would want to have it in hand before I dropped any cash. Just My Thoughts and Opinions. You mention you don't have a clue and collect badges. I collect edged dress daggers, knives and swords and after 30 years I still scratch my noggin and cannot know it all after all this time. This is a good group so go with the consensus here and look at threads posted here too. Michael Ryan did a nice service to the WRF here which is a great educational and photo graphic record:

LOOK AT PAGE 14 and there is a E F Horster Naval posted there: Swords of the Third Reich, Imperial through 1945 - Quick Reference

Here are Pictures & Description as well below:

Sword 122 (61) Maufactured by the firm of E & F Horster (Horstator, Solwa, Famexi and Monika), the Trade Mark is a vertically aligned sword point down through the initiats "HHS". This sword is a TR Navy Officer's pattern. There are two basic patterns of this sword, fixed and folding guard. The fixed guard sword has a basket style hilt incorporating a cartouche on which is a representation of an early styled fouled anchor. The folding guard type is similar however the cartouche can be folded back against the sword grip. There are many variations to the designs of the hilts of both patterns. Additionally, higher quality and presentation swords tend to include greater hilt decoration and etched blades.

a. Hilt. Cast in gilded brass with the backstrap attached directly to the blade tang. The grip is made from an ivoey like materiel or off white plastic and has a brass wire wrap. There is a small moveable flap which forms the reverse side of rhe guard and when closed, locks the sword into its scabbard.
    b. Obverse Langet. None.
    c. Reverse langet. None.
    d. Pommel. Lion Head.
    e. Blade. plain polished steel with a pipe or quill back spine.
    f. Scabbard. Standard Naval pattern leather scabbard with double ring suspension and drag, all produced in gilded brass. There is no loop to the reverse side of the scabbard, however there is a stud which holds the reverse hilt fitting.
    g. Rarety. Quite rare.

RossiGerman naval sword, need some adviseGerman naval sword, need some adviseGerman naval sword, need some adviseGerman naval sword, need some adviseGerman naval sword, need some adviseGerman naval sword, need some adviseGerman naval sword, need some advise
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Thanks for posting Michael's reference example. With Best Regards, Fred

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    Thanks for posting Michael's reference example. With Best Regards, Fred
    German naval sword, need some adviseGerman naval sword, need some adviseGerman naval sword, need some adviseGerman naval sword, need some advise
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German naval sword, need some advise   German naval sword, need some advise  

Quote by Drullo33 View Post
    German naval sword, need some adviseGerman naval sword, need some adviseGerman naval sword, need some adviseGerman naval sword, need some advise
    Hello, i made some new foto,s, thanks all for the reply,s. Well the detail is nice i think on the sword...
    Regards Niels

Default foto of the lions nose

Hello,

Well the maker of this sword did his best one the nose. Hope you see it one the pictures!
    nice sunday all.

Regards Niels
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German naval sword, need some advise  

Hi Drullo welcome to the forum...just curious...what is happening here..and maybe our swordsmen here can shed some light.

Appears to be some kind of imperfection..or is this normal standard production cast?

I would expect superior quality from Horster and especially with these type of swords.
    Thankyou for all the photos..they greatly help

Regards Larry

It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast