Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Grandfather's German (?) Sword

Article about: This sword was given to me by my father, who got it from his father. The story goes that my Opa traded some cigarettes and chocolate for this with a family in Germany after the war. The swor

Tatum12
    ?

Default Grandfather's German (?) Sword

This sword was given to me by my father, who got it from his father. The story goes that my Opa traded some cigarettes and chocolate for this with a family in Germany after the war. The sword is thin, but the blade is not at all. Both the handle and blade have a floral pattern, and the blade has a little sign of a knight.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Grandfather's German (?) Sword   Grandfather's German (?) Sword  

Grandfather's German (?) Sword   Grandfather's German (?) Sword  

Grandfather's German (?) Sword  
    Last edited by Tatum12; 01-07-2011 at 01:49 AM.

2. # ADS

?

Default Re: Grandfather's German (?) Sword

Nice sword i like it..!

WKC Manufacturer, I believe. Looks nice. Other than WKC, I have no idea of what type it is.

?

Imperial German Infantry Officers sword with the wire wrap missing on the grip

Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

?

Quote by Horst View Post
    Imperial German Infantry Officers sword with the wire wrap missing on the grip

Horst
    Horst it looks indeed to be: Infanterie-Off.-Degen a/A
    so i guess it would be purchased before 1889 because then the IOD1889 was introduced.
    correct me if im wrong.

Ger

?

Ger - I would say thats a good assumption - possibly they were very close in the same time period.

Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

style looks like a court sword of some type,,,

An interesting sword, it is perhaps more often seen with a brass mounted black leather scabbard. And looks to me also like the old model Infantry Officer’s Degen. With the basic style being a very old one for military use, also used by officials, with some variations depending on the maker and era it was made. For a comparison here is the IOD 89 showing both the standard model and later Kriegsmodell. FP
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Grandfather's German (?) Sword  

?

Thx Frogprince, nice pics from the IOD1889.

I will give you the pictures of the old one, only difference this is a "present sword "from a Preussian Princess to her serving Officer:

hope you all understand a bit german
    Otherwise the pics will do the talking, enjoy.

Preußen Kaiserin Augusta Garde-Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 2 Geschenkdegen für Offiziere, um 1910 Ehrengeschenk von Irene Prinzessin Heinrich von Preussen "Dem Fähnrich Clemens Freiherrn von Bleul für Pagendienste 1909 - 1910". Elegante Fertigung in der besonderen Ausführung für das Garde-Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 2. Vergoldetes Griffgefäß, der Knauf in form einer flammenden Granate mit gekrönter Regiments-Chiffre "A", schwere Silberdrahtwicklung mit aufgelegtem emaillierten Gardestern. Beidseitiges Klappgefäß mit Jubiläumszahl "1861 - 1886". Beidseitige vernickelte Klinge mit vergoldeter Zierätzung, auf der Vorderseite mit Widmung "Dem Fähnrich Clemens Freiherrn von Bleul für Pagendienste 1909 - 1910", auf der Rückseite "Irene Prinzessin Heinrich von Preussen". Geschwärzte Stahlscheide mit 1 Ring

Gerrit,

Thank you for posting that deluxe presentation grade Infanterieoffizierdegen. A very interesting historical artifact, that was a gift from a princess to a lesser member of the nobility. Who in the last stages of being an officer candidate before promotion, was presumably serving as a page in the royal court. An item that should not be too difficult to research.

The one thing that does puzzle me a little is that it probably should be Regiment Nr. 4, if the rest of the description is correct, as Nr. 2 was supposed to be for Kaiser Franz as the one being honored. And that pattern sword is traditional for the Nr. 4 regiment. But I can’t really see the inscription that well, so perhaps someone at weitze made a mistake?

With my Best Regards, FP

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast