Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help!!! e. pack & söhne solingen sword with DKIG/Brotherhood of Snake ornamentation

Article about: I'm new to this forum so bear with me... I've had this sword in my possession for quite a few years and decided to pull it out and look at it again. I did do a little bit of homework on it (

Default Help!!! e. pack & söhne solingen sword with DKIG/Brotherhood of Snake ornamentation

I'm new to this forum so bear with me...

I've had this sword in my possession for quite a few years and decided to pull it out and look at it again. I did do a little bit of homework on it (i.e. manufacturer, etc.) but have no idea what these markings really are or what they actually mean. I know the DKIG was a military award, but I have not come across anything this small & placed on a sword. Also the Brotherhood of the Snake bearing a swastika & skull is an image that I have never come across other than once. Here is the link Occult Secret Societies: Brotherhood of the Snake. So I guess what I'm really wondering is can anyone tell me about this? Most of the swords I've seen don't have these types of embellishments on them. Thanks for all your help!!!
    Help!!! e. pack & söhne solingen sword with DKIG/Brotherhood of Snake ornamentationHelp!!! e. pack & söhne solingen sword with DKIG/Brotherhood of Snake ornamentationHelp!!! e. pack & söhne solingen sword with DKIG/Brotherhood of Snake ornamentationHelp!!! e. pack & söhne solingen sword with DKIG/Brotherhood of Snake ornamentationHelp!!! e. pack & söhne solingen sword with DKIG/Brotherhood of Snake ornamentationHelp!!! e. pack & söhne solingen sword with DKIG/Brotherhood of Snake ornamentation

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help!!! e. pack & söhne solingen sword with DKIG/Brotherhood of Snake ornamentation
    P
    Many

?

I don't know about the sword, but the snakes don't have anything to do with some sort of secret society; in fact, it's a miniature anti-partisan badge. I have no idea if any of it is original, however.

Hmmm. That would make sense. I did not know..like I said I'm not that knowledgeable about the markings other than the link I shared.

?

Quote by Harry Bentley Lee III View Post
    Hmmm. That would make sense. I did not know..like I said I'm not that knowledgeable about the markings other than the link I shared.
    Well, now you know as much as I do! Swords and daggers are not my specialty at all. I've had two daggers, but I traded them away almost as soon as I got them. Someone with more to offer will probably be along to help you out a bit more.

The sword appears to be an earlier 1930's brass(?) hilted German Army officer's sword. The Anti-Partisan Guerrilla Warfare Badge was instituted I believe early in 1944. In the one close in image I see two(?) leather washers, and no sign of attaching pins. With my question being is it glued, or is the extra washer somehow related to avoiding contact with a pin or pins inside the langet? In that same and another image I see what seems to be a Swastika appliqué (?) on top of the Eagle on the other langet. With 1944 the year when pistols were being required in lieu of dress sidearms in non-combat use unlike in the earlier period for certain occasions (but not at the beginning of the year - from memory needing to check the dates). Regards, Fred

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    In that same and another image I see what seems to be a Swastika appliqué (?) on top of the Eagle on the other langet. Regards, Fred
    You're right Fred, it's another stickpin, this time of a DKiG.

Regards, Ned.

Help!!! e. pack & söhne solingen sword with DKIG/Brotherhood of Snake ornamentation
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

imo someone has decided to stick mini medals on to an original sword,probably to henance the value.a few years back swords where quite cheap.

A decent sword jacked up and ruined? 2 uses of 2 words ..... Worth less or worthless.

yea bad hair day....I hate to see this happen
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help!!! e. pack & söhne solingen sword with DKIG/Brotherhood of Snake ornamentation  
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hi Harry, You have an interesting sword there!! I have been a sword man for a number of years and have only seen one other sword woth additional embelishment, that being a plain brass hilted dove head sword with the addition of a silver eagle and swastica to the obverse langet similar to one of the WKC patterns. I my case the military eagle is of a type worn on Naval epaulettes and I believe it to be a contemporary addition, probably by the original owner????

Although I do not have the knowledge nor the proof to declare your embelishments to be spurious, I would be very weary of them. As Frogprince quite rightly points out, the sword looks OK from the photos but the additions are out of chronological order given the early appearance of the sword and the late introduction of the Anti Partisan badge coupled with withdrawal of ceremonial and walking out edged weaponry?? My opinion and I stress opinion not knowledge, is that the sword has been upgraded post 1945 possibly by the orignal owner as a momento of his TR military service and to commemorate two of his awards or more likely, and sad to say, by another party for financial gain perhaps??. With regard to what appears to be either a double washer or very thick washer under the hilt, I would usually attribute this to a scabbard which is slightly shorter than the blade of the sword or which has rust or debris wedged at its foot thus preventing the scabbard throat from abutting the underside of the quilon block?? All speculation on my behalf!! If you are happy with the sword then it is whatever you want it to be.
    Regards Michael R

Hi Larry, That is an interesting photo!! Is it real or a dummy??
    Cheers MR

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast