Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

I need help IDing this

Article about: I acquired this from my father, who got it from his father. No one thought anything of it, and now I'm wanting to know what it is. I know these are absolutely horrible photos, but they are j

Bri MacArthur
    ?

Default I need help IDing this *Edited - added more photos*

I acquired this from my father, who got it from his father.

No one thought anything of it, and now I'm wanting to know what it is.

I know these are absolutely horrible photos, but they are just to give you an idea of what the blade looks like...

Anyways, the blade has engraving on both sides from two inches below the handle, covering 3/4 of the blade length (dirty as hell, but it's very elaborate engraving). The handle is very plain, gold in colour.

I need help IDing thisI need help IDing this

*EDIT* I took more photos, hopefully they are a bit better! Also, to give an idea of the length of the sword, I am 5 foot 0, and it comes from the ground to the bottom of my rib cage.

Last edited by Bri MacArthur; 01-21-2015 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Added more photos

2. # ADS

Hi Bri,, welcome to the forum..the Sword is authentic..but in very rough condition. I will move this thread to the Third Reich Swords forum....to be identified exactly the type and patttern this sword is..by the Forums Swordsmen. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Bri MacArthur
    ?

Thanks!

its pre Wiemar or Austrian,so WW1 period.

Hi Bri, Thank you for posting your sword and welcome to the Forum family!!! From what I can see, the sword is a plain brass hilt cavalry style sabre popular both during and pre WWI and through into the TR period. The blade is well worn but still nice given the etching which comprises a stand of arms and the Imperial Prussian/German National Eagle and Crown. Under the langets (The two small "tongues" under the hilt is the riccaso (Small flat area at the top of the blade) on which is usually stamped or etched the manufacturer's logo. This will tell you who and where the sword was made if it is present and ledgible. The scabbard is of Imperial Army pattern with a fixed suspension ring. From my perspective, the most interesting and unusual aspect of your sword is the pommel ring. This is a common addition for Turkish swords of the period but this is the first German sword that I have come accross. By way of a possible explanation, the German goverment supplied a large amount of edged weapons to the Turks and it is possible that this sword was part of this. Are there any Turkish stampings on the blade or scabbard? Usually a crescent and star. Although not in particularly sparkling condition, you none-the-less have an interesting if not too valuable piece of history. As a matter of interest and fact, I would be happy to have in my collection!!!
    Regards Michael R